(wL) Forums

Full Version: Microsoft creative director doesn't get the 'drama' around an always-online Xbox
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[SIZE=14px]Adam Orth argues that every device is now "always-on" and that customers are going to have to deal with it.[/SIZE]

Quote:
Quote:
[SIZE=14px]Microsoft Studios creative director Adam Orth has argued against the "drama" surrounding the concept of games consoles requiring an always-on Internet connection. [/SIZE]
Speaking on his personal Twitter account (now private), Orth argued "sorry, I don't get the drama around having an 'always on' console.Every device now is 'always on'. That's the world we live in. #dealwithit"
[SIZE=14px]Orth joined Microsoft in 2012 as a creative director on a currently unannounced project. He's previously worked on God of War 3, Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II, and on the Medal of Honor series at EA.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14px]"Did you learn nothing from Diablo III or SimCity? You know some people's Internet goes out right? Deal with it is a sh***y reason," replied BioWare gameplay designer Manveer Heir.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14px]"Electricity goes out too," said Orth in response.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14px]"The mobile reception in the area I live in is spotty and unreliable. I will not buy a mobile phone," Orth said as a joke.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14px]While Orth later apologised for his comments, the debate arrives off the back of another prominent report that says Microsoft's next-gen Xbox will require a permanent connection to the Internet to load games, and that all games will be suspended if the console stays offline for more than three minutes.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14px]"Unless something has changed recently, Durango consumer units must have an active Internet connection to be used," said the source about the next Xbox.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14px]During the announcement of the PlayStation 4, Sony were quick to assert that their next PlayStation would not feature an always-online requirement.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14px]Both Sony and Microsoft have explored ways to use a connected Internet connection to block pre-owned games in the past.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14px]http://us.gamespot.com/news/microsoft-cr...ox-6406464[/SIZE]
Even more reason to just use a pc.