(wL) Forums

Full Version: [Suggestion] Cleaning up the servers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I understand your point that you're trying to make, but it's a difference in opinion.

Just because you bought the game doesn't give you the right to access any server at any time, especially if it's full. You're paying for the engine. For example, a server can rightfully ban you for absolutely no reason at all just because the server owners pay for that server.

By paying for a slot on the server at any given time, you're helping pay for the server and it allows you to access it any time. The server owners, for a long time, have elected to let no-steamers play with steam players, so in this regard there's no difference between a steam user and a no-steam user. You're still differencing between the two, but in the way the server is run, there isn't. The only difference is between players are admins, reserved slots, and regular players. As far as I know and remember, a no-steam player can also purchase a reserved slot.

As a side note, I think you grossly underestimated the amount of no-steam users that we have on the servers. 99% of users are not steam users, I'd say maybe 65-35, maybe even close to 55-45.
Joker is completely right. If we remove the nonsteam users then you won't have anyone to kill. This community does well because of nonsteam support. It will not change for you, myself, or anyone else. I didn't like it at first. I promise you will get used to it like everyone else has. This community has a lot to offer and you can thank the non steam users for that.
Besides, WL actually helps steam by providing new customers. Many no-steamers have converted to steam, take note after a decade of its initial release. As far as i know, they won't unban no steamers unless they purchase the game. Paying for a reserve slot is a choice and not a requirement, it is actually not advertised by the owner unless asked by someone.
An interesting number and way of looking at it there, Joker. I hadn't thought it was actually that many people, but the game is so cheap and I've owned it for so long, I really assumed that it would only be a few nonsteamers, considering how long the game's been in play.

/nodnod/ I concede. You have my ear, wise one.
J33f, post: 92964, member: 17021 Wrote:An interesting number and way of looking at it there, Joker. I hadn't thought it was actually that many people, but the game is so cheap and I've owned it for so long, I really assumed that it would only be a few nonsteamers, considering how long the game's been in play.

/nodnod/ I concede. You have my ear, wise one.
We "coerce" and of course encourage non-steamers to buy CS:S to become fully integrated with the community, and help support their favorite game. So far we have increased the numbers quite well, and few others are considering buying it soon. wL has a good situation going here, just as everyone has said. You get used to it eventually, some of them are quite nice and friendly.
J33f, post: 92921, member: 17021 Wrote:That's like saying you can have an Anti-Virus hacked, because the company hasn't shut you down yet.

I'm certain Steam knows about the torrents and that it's illegal for these players to be playing, but there isn't really a way except for a case-by-case way of banning them or restricting their game play if they have server access beyond Steam's control.
There's hundreds of millions of players on Steam playing all sorts of hacked and cracked games.

And if wL supports that, then I suppose that's just what we'll have to deal with.
Honestly, I think it's the only issue on the servers I've actually encountered. So that's pretty good.

Double post

Or what if I said it like this, and this is just a civil debate, so there's no hate involved—

What is the point of having paid-for reserve slots, when you allow people who's hacked the game, access to your servers?

Food for thought, seeing as there's regularly 3-4 nosteamers in Popular Maps #2.
That's 3-4 slots for paying players.
Some people can't buy games you rich kid.
Sibrox, post: 92970, member: 14065 Wrote:Some people can't buy games you rich kid.
$19.99 full price. $4.99 when its on sale. Yes, we are super wealthy, or you are just greedy not supporting one of your favorite games...
It's also not available in every country, some people don't have accepted credit cards or other methods of payments.
Pages: 1 2 3