(wL) Forums

Full Version: First Steam Wannabe to die! Ubisoft UPlay DISCONTINUED!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
UPlay has failed, and is the first "wannabe" Steam to die. Remaining ones are Windows for Games Live and Origin. However, Ubisoft was a huge advocate of their "security" system and wanted all piracy to be removed. They have utterly failed it would seem and are going back to the no need for account access after purchases. Watch Dog should be included in this when release.

Ubisoft announced today that Uplay Passport program has been discontinued and will not be part of any of the company's future titles.

Uplay Passport is a system designed to stop second-hand game purchasers from accessing online features without purchasing a onetime access code.

"The Uplay Passport program was initiated as a means of giving customers full access and support for online multiplayer and features, along with exclusive content, bonuses and rewards," Ubisoft Communication Manager Gary Steinman posted on the official UbiBlog. "However, games today are blurring the line between offline and online, between what is “single player” and what is “multiplayer.” Based on that and on the feedback we received from you, we recognized that Passport is no longer the best approach for ensuring that all our customers have the best possible experience with all facets of our games."

Uplay will also be effectively removed from Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag by setting access codes price to zero.

"We listen to our community and understand that there are concerns over some players’ ability to access [online} features, so we have decided to eliminate the cost of the Uplay Passport for Black Flag," said Steinman. This ensures that everyone will be able to use the companion app, Edward’s Fleet, online multiplayer and available bonus content at no additional cost."

Gamers currently without a Uplay Passport for Black Flag will be able to download one for free from Xbox Live or PlayStation Network. Ubisoft will refund gamers who have already purchased Uplay Passport for Black Flag.
Uplay sucks because it won't let me play ac2 D:
Donut, post: 103400, member: 16662 Wrote:Uplay sucks because it won't let me play ac2 D:
Problems have been growing exponentially with new releases of games. They added services somewhat like Steam had, but it kept draining funds out of Ubisoft due to it never became stable enough to allow the gamer population to stop having problems.

Microsoft Live is being fueled by Xbox but they have several times stated that they want to make Xbox and PC compatible for cross-gaming, so it will change, no doubt.

Origin will just have to keep losing money until EA face their problem (which right now is also exponentially growing as well, as you can see with their latest policy of money back guarantee if you buy a game that doesn't work on your system). EA will never learn though, so it will take them years to realize they will never stabilize Origin, because quite frankly it took steam a decade doing that. Hahaha
not a fan of Uplay. Glad to see it fail miserably
I thought windows for games was dead.They shut down the market on it?They only let you play games that you've bought from it.
Neo//._., post: 103414, member: 14824 Wrote:I thought windows for games was dead.They shut down the market on it?They only let you play games that you've bought from it.
Last I checked market was still up, and you still had to login through the LIVE in order to play a game through Steam.