(wL) Forums

Full Version: Did Japan's Quake affect your ISP?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm connecting from the Philippines (as you all may already know) and am currently experiencing issues. Facebook photos not loading, websites not loading, etc. Just called my ISP earlier and they said "We have stopped rerouting all traffic for the moment. We will, however monitor all traffic for 2 more days as to whether a route straight from Hong Kong to USA (and other countries) will be possible without the use of Japan's backbone. If it becomes unstable, we will then route you through Singapore. As for websites not loading and Facebook photos not loading, this is due to a direct route."

I know a lot about computers (repaired computers and built them myself) but I don't know crap about networking and all that. Is what he's saying right? :3

As for Topic title: Did japan's quake affect your isp?
I don't see nothing wrong with what he said but you'll probably have higher latency. Tongue
iMeow Wrote:I'm connecting from the Philippines (as you all may already know) and am currently experiencing issues. Facebook photos not loading, websites not loading, etc. Just called my ISP earlier and they said "We have stopped rerouting all traffic for the moment. We will, however monitor all traffic for 2 more days as to whether a route straight from Hong Kong to USA (and other countries) will be possible without the use of Japan's backbone. If it becomes unstable, we will then route you through Singapore. As for websites not loading and Facebook photos not loading, this is due to a direct route."

I know a lot about computers (repaired computers and built them myself) but I don't know crap about networking and all that. Is what he's saying right? :3

As for Topic title: Did japan's quake affect your isp?

I assume the route they are sending you filters out photos/movies/etc for faster connection so you can still contact outside. Your not the only one on that network, and maybe some networks went down cause of earthquake. There is tons of people on that network. And ti soften that workload they probably filter out the pictures, movies, etc so the lines/servers don't stress.

But I didn't know your from japan, or close to it be affected of the redirects o.o