(wL) Forums

Full Version: MOBA Division?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Intro
    With the new gaming scene moving into MOBA's (Multiplayer Online Battle Arena), such as games like League of Legends and Heroes of Newerth, popularity among those games are sky high. They are considered one of the most competitive games and so I was thinking that we should have a division reserved for those types of games.

I would like to assume that many other War-Lords Regulars already play LoL or even HoN, and so I was thinking that we should bring them together so the reg's can at least play with an organized team on mentioned games.

If certain regulars don't play the game, then I would also like to make this post to introduce those who are interested to a whole new genre and style of video games.

What are MOBA's?
    MOBA's in its simplest explanation is a hero-based strategy game. What that means is: there is usually a team of 3-5 with each player controlling a single unit called a "hero". The hero can level up and gain skills to use against the opposing team. The player may also gain gold to buy items which also benefits the hero according to its class. The gold system of said games rely on the fixed properties of the game.

What I mean by "fixed" properties is: within the map, aside from the heroes, there is a constant wave of soldiers coming from three parts of the map: the middle, top, and bottom. They are identical in both sides, so identical that if there were no heroes, the game would never end. Which brings us to one of the key things to note about the game: how to win.

As mentioned above, the game would never end if there were no heroes. That brings us to the point of what the players do. The players are there to simply break that symmetry of soldiers, heroes are equipped with skills to defend, to push and to kill other heroes. The object of the game is to kill the main building of the opponents base. However, you can't just go into the base and kill it, each team has a line of defense besides the creeps called towers. Once towers are destroyed, then you may freely push and win the game, granted that you easily dispose of the enemy heroes.

Now, back to the gold and experience system. Once a hero kills an enemy creep, they gain gold and exp. They may also gain more gold and experience by killing enemy players.

I know these fundamentals are hard to remember and may sound confusing so here are videos of certain MOBA games to clear up any questions.

League of Legends:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsgk3SBnZyo[/youtube]

Heroes of Newerth:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwDPD_IPTPc[/youtube]

Upcoming: Dota 2

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOsdlM2a9y8[/youtube]

Please keep in mind that these are high tier games, so you may not understand what alot of the terms mean. but try to see the overall essence of the game and how it works and what they do.

What I'm Suggesting:

In addition to shedding light on this genre of games, I also wish (if we had enough players) to make a forum section dedicated to MOBA discussions, which will include meeting other players, strategy, fun builds, guides, etc. Also, in some of these games, there are clan systems. I was thinking that we should have a War-Lords clan for some of these games.
Word...

God knows I've watched you play this game, tons... Its pretty interesting to say the least.
I'll play LoL.. But I'll only play Teemo, and I'll be worthless, and the team might lose because of me