Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I have a problem enforcing some Admin Things
Mr.Tea Wrote:Just something related that I found funny:
http://www.toptenz.net/to-10-useless-co ... egrees.php

Quote:Philosophy, like sociology and psychology, is one of those degrees that people do when they’re not quite sure what vocation they want to follow . It’s a fun-time four years, open to stoners, egocentrics and those that love the sound of their own voice, who will finish the course even more confused at what they want to do in life and probably end up working at a convenience store.

Like I said, I don't formally study philosophy, it's more of a hobby. I'm not going to make a statement about the merit of philosophy as a university degree.  I'm actually a student of psychology and plan on becoming a counselor. I'm not doing psychology because I'm not sure what I want to do, or because I'm a stoner or ego-centric, I'm doing it because I like to help people, and because I believe that I would be good at the job. The reason I decided to start researching philosophy had nothing to do with those reasons either, I wanted to discover answers to a lot of the questions that were important to me at the time. For example, the notion of "God" and whether religions like Christianity are true, or the concept of inherent human selfishness vs altruism, or even the nature of reality.

Mr.Tea Wrote:My plan to call  you "son" did receive my desired result.  To generate emotion, which is not displayed on the internet as you stated.  Too say words cannot generate emotions or without emotions is pretty ignorant itself.  Words is how many express ideas and emotions.
Yes, there sure is emotion in lots of words, and that's one of the basic ways to communicate with people, but using emotion to persuade instead of reason is not logical. Anyone could use emotion to back up their argument, when used as an arguing tool, theoretically every argument is equal (provided that they are equally persuasive). You and
ruplayer both specifically used the word logic.

Mr.Tea Wrote:Its even more entertaining that you continue to speak as an expert of philosophy in a condescending manner.  You may not grasp your condescending tone, but when did my pun on jelly/jam decide to turn into a philosophical debate on logic?
I'm not speaking as an expert on philosophy, but as someone who has a basic knowledge in logic and logical fallacies (and I already said that). I am at times being condescending, but it's actually in response to your own manner of speaking and tone (calling me son, and saying that I'm pretending to be educated, etc.), while making so many misconceived, insulting, and illogical statements. I have said nothing about your intelligence, I have been putting forward the logical errors which were present in some of your statements.

Mr.Tea Wrote:You continue to cite philosophical definitions and quote away my posts line by line.  Breaking up your counter rebuttals focused on different parts.  Then you violate your own "laws" when you counter insult me.  You infer that I did not pay attention in a class I took over ten years ago.  Surprisingly, I did and I gave you my opinion of the study in blunt terms and observation I made.
Yes, well judging by the way you have been arguing, it didn't seem like an unreasonable assumption to make. You have not given evidence of it in your recent posts.

Mr.Tea Wrote:I was not referring semantics as to the study of language.  Just another effort to take things out of context.  I used semantics in context of meaning of words not what or why words mean things.  It was implied what definition I was using.
I do not try to take things out of context, and truthfully, I don't understand what you mean by semantics in philosophy.

Mr.Tea Wrote:There is a big difference in trying to sound educated and being educated.  You are doing neither, but neither am I nor do I care to try.  You could even go a step further and critique my grammar, which I'm sure is the next step (or perhaps you evolved from that).  I guess you are living up to your name..silly.
Like I have said, I am self-educated in some elements of philosophy, and I have been demonstrating that knowledge in my posts. The majority of my comments have been completely valid, and have demonstrated that knowledge, but you have simply not addressed them. Don't misrepresent me, I don't think that grammar is at all important in conversations like these.

Mr.Tea Wrote:As Spartacus brought up, Lesson Learned.  You are taking this seriously, which is plain silly.  Its good that you take interest in philosophy.  Maybe you have ambition to be a pretentious Philosopher King, but alas I humble Guardian and will always be.  It is a Brave New World....
Don't put words into my mouth, and you have not learned your own "lesson" which apparently makes you "silly". Mr Tea, Your post about jelly and jam might have been a joke, but hypocritically, you have made a serious attempt to defend yourself.

I already replied to Spartacus' post. Also, I don't have ambition to be pretentious, I aimed to make a point. Which was originally more of a response to ruplayer.
[Image: 2ntzjn7.png]
silly (no sound): you need to learn
Zero: i taught you
silly (no sound): how to be cool like me
Zero: you knifed me when i retired
silly (no sound): I have hopes for you
silly (no sound): to be my apprentice
silly (no sound): my prodigy
silly (no sound): to carry on my legacy
silly (no sound): good luck padawan
silly (no sound): may the force be with you
Zero: lol
Zero: why you make it sound that you are never coming back alive master?
Zero: Tongue
silly (no sound): I will
silly (no sound): when you're ready
silly (no sound): to show me what you've learnt
silly (no sound): when you're a jedi

Messages In This Thread
RE: I have a problem enforcing some Admin Things - by Anonymous - Dec 01 2011, 06:49 AM
RE: I have a problem enforcing some Admin Things - by Anonymous - Dec 04 2011, 01:19 AM
RE: I have a problem enforcing some Admin Things - by Anonymous - Dec 04 2011, 04:43 PM
RE: I have a problem enforcing some Admin Things - by Anonymous - Dec 05 2011, 06:49 PM
RE: I have a problem enforcing some Admin Things - by silly - Dec 05 2011, 07:20 PM