Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I want to suggest that someone adds the best map ever to one of the servers
Thanks Bison,
The custom maps server disappeared within weeks of me getting on here, and I'd always wondered where and why...
The size of our community and map downloading are definite issues counting against a custom map server here.
I have a somewhat sacrilegious idea that might help solving that though.

Right now the war-lords homepage is fairly uncluttered and no-nonsense. To get a custom map server to work, one idea is to start a promotional campaign with weekend tourneys/competitions, the rankings of which would be posted on the homepage. Instead of scrims, we play the server just like we do on popular maps, but then announce top fraggers that weekend, top kdrs (over a certain minimum) that weekend, top clans for the weekend, and a popularly selected mvp for that weekend.
On the initial post introducing the campaign, a link would be provided of the 15 or so most popular custom maps the server consists of, and we can add a couple new featured maps every few competitions. Joining a map should be by random selection only, and it should be understood that admins might switch players for team balance.
I can imagine this would take a lot of effort from our administrative staff and community, but with a bit of polishing and experimenting I believe it could also bring just that much more fun and hopefully traffic to this community. Everyone loves seeing their name in the lights and I can imagine regulars here calling in inactive buddies to help clan rankings.
Keeping it to weekends should help the players who can't afford to compete with those who can play all week, and if weekly is too much a strain on the staff, a 3-day tourney once a month should still have similar results.

::edit::
Actually, instead of cluttering our homepage with this, announce it initially there and create a new section for it on the left hand menu section. As our community grows and we work out any tweaking, we could eventually add monthly tourneys for the other servers as well. But if we want a customs maps server to kick off, we'll probably start the first few gauntlets exclusively for it. Any thoughts?
::edit::
George, Of The Jungle Jun 29, 2012:
Is this the profile of a bear?? Hmm, I didn't know bears were capable of playing css. Don't they break the keyboard with their massive paws? This is very peculiar and requires further investigation. If this is true, no one knows what kind of risks this might hold. They might electrocute themselves, maybe they become addicted to the game causing them to neglect their parental tasks. What must become of their offspring?
I will select a team consisting of the world's foremost scientists that will go about this scientific quest in the uttermost professional manner. This taskforce will carry the name "CANBURZREALLYPLAYCOUWNTERTRIKE - HUHWHUT????". I trust upon these men a task of huge importance, the fate of bearkind may depend on it. Godspeed men, Godspeed!