Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fat forecast: 42% of Americans obese by 2030
FrostyMeds Wrote:JackMonroe, I abide by your Libertarian beliefs that everyone has the right to do what they want with their own body.  I completely agree.  But the job of the government is still to serve its citizens.  And this is why I would love to see regulations put in place that would limit the amount of fast food restaurants able to open up in cities containing a poor population with low socioeconomic status.  Also, in response to your question: "our country has fat people, so what?" - it's not just that we have fat people, we have the highest rate of obesity out of any other country.  This tells a lot about the lack of opportunities in our country, and directly reflects our culture, health care policies, etc.  We're in this together, and what good is a country if we don't look out for the well-being of one another?  If I was living off of a minimum wage job in Chicago or Detroit or Miami or something like that, I would like to know that the rest of the country cares enough to make sure I have the ability to gain access to decent health care, and healthy food options.  I know this is a hard concept to grasp living in such an individualistic society, but I digress.

It is much cheaper and healthier to just go to the grocery store.  Essentially you are saying that people in the poor communities are too dumb to know better.  They do know better.  They just don't care.  We are fat because we have no individual responsibility.  In regards to a lack of opportunities in this country, that is a whole different subject that we could talk about forever, but it has nothing to do with food.
[Image: 76561197977275857.png]
[Image: 76561197984123363.png]
[Image: 15116_101.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Fat forecast: 42% of Americans obese by 2030 - by JackMonroe - May 09 2012, 10:01 PM