Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Obama declares support for same-sex marriages
Have to say, I used to have the same strong reaction against homosexuality as ruplayer and red. But eventually, (as with a few things in my life) I wanted to make sure that what I believed in had some sort of rational justification. I ended up realizing that a person can't force themselves to be attracted to people of the same sex; it's not a conscious decision (For example: a straight person could go through the motions of performing homosexual acts, but that wouldn't necessarily mean that they would be actually attracted to members of the same sex).

I also discovered that homosexuality occurs in many different species of animals, and so is not at all unnatural (in any ordinary sense of the word). Another common criticism of homosexual relationships is that they can't create children. But first of all, there are already people who are barren, or who pledge to be abstinent, or who uses contraception, and no non-religious person insults those people's sense of morality. And secondly, homosexual people can have biological children via donating sperm to a surrogate mother, or (in the case of lesbian couples) by receiving from a sperm donor. On top of that, there's the criticism that anal sex can damage the body, but straight people engage in sodomy too, so we can't have a double standard there.

It seems plain to me, that the only real reason that many people are so opposed to homosexuality is because of their cultural upbringing (including religion), in quite the same way that many white people in the past were opposed to equality for black people, or that some men were against equal rights for women.

Homophobia is a pretty irrational prejudice that doesn't have any justification outside tradition.

P.S. You guys sure know how to have a gross conversation.
P.S.S. Drunk, your gif image is tobuscus!
[Image: 2ntzjn7.png]
silly (no sound): you need to learn
Zero: i taught you
silly (no sound): how to be cool like me
Zero: you knifed me when i retired
silly (no sound): I have hopes for you
silly (no sound): to be my apprentice
silly (no sound): my prodigy
silly (no sound): to carry on my legacy
silly (no sound): good luck padawan
silly (no sound): may the force be with you
Zero: lol
Zero: why you make it sound that you are never coming back alive master?
Zero: Tongue
silly (no sound): I will
silly (no sound): when you're ready
silly (no sound): to show me what you've learnt
silly (no sound): when you're a jedi

Messages In This Thread
RE: Obama declares support for same-sex marriages - by silly - May 11 2012, 11:43 PM