Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PC Update - Shorted my mobo :(
Anubis, post: 72861, member: 626 Wrote:
  • The power supply may have failed. It may have worked initially, but when under a heavier load, or under a load for a longer time, something may have gone wrong. There is no way to verify this other than to put a load on it and test its outputs with a meter.
Ruled this out, I used a different PSU and got the same results. I also performed the paper-clip test (connecting the green wire to the black wire) and the PSU fan came on so I was able to confirm it wasn't dead.
Anubis, post: 72861, member: 626 Wrote:Did the motherboard's on-board power LED light up when you were testing it? If so, did the fans spin-up as well, or did they move at all?

I did an external test - heatsink/cpu, RAM, video card were all connected. The external test worked, fan was running for at least a minute before I shut it off to continue building, which is why I was so crestfallen and surprised when my internal build failed. It had to be an assembly error on my part, but I can'tfigure out what - at first, I thought touching the metal case might have shorted it (it might have come into contact while I was placing the mobo since I was having difficulty placing it) - but since you said it would only short it if the motherboard was powered, that can't be the case. I'm trying to avoid duplicating that error at all costs (time/money since school is starting for me in 12 days).

The motherboard's LED light actually still turns on when powered, but when I start it up the fan spins once and dies immediately after. Strange..

}{@K@P, post: 72863, member: 854 Wrote:hmmm I recommend watching these videos before you build your own pc

Thanks for the suggestion, I watched all of those videos, they were helpful. I also followed along to part II while I was building, but had to watch some other NZXT build videos because labels / instructions were very vague on the phantom user manual.

Additional questions regarding connections to the mobo:
  • When connecting my USB 3.0, 2.0 connections, and hi-def audio how firm should I be pushing these connections in? I was scared I'd break the pins off - they were connected but took little effort to take off (compared to the 24 pin connector which requires a lot of force)
  • When connecting to my fan ports (SYS_FAN) which have four pins, I have connections that are two pins (with a hole as a third) - are these connections usually very, very loose? I found that simply flicking the wire with a little strength would disconnect it from the mobo.
[Image: boitier-milieu-gamme,K-1-337681-3.jpg]
[Image: 88503_201.png]
[Image: 382_1002.png]

Messages In This Thread
PC Update - Shorted my mobo :( - by Red - Aug 15 2012, 06:45 PM
RE: PC Update - Shorted my mobo :( - by Anubis - Aug 15 2012, 08:39 PM
RE: PC Update - Shorted my mobo :( - by }{@K@P - Aug 15 2012, 08:51 PM
RE: PC Update - Shorted my mobo :( - by Red - Aug 15 2012, 09:09 PM
RE: PC Update - Shorted my mobo :( - by Red - Aug 15 2012, 09:21 PM
RE: PC Update - Shorted my mobo :( - by Anubis - Aug 15 2012, 09:41 PM
RE: PC Update - Shorted my mobo :( - by Mike_001 - Aug 15 2012, 11:38 PM
RE: PC Update - Shorted my mobo :( - by DK - Aug 16 2012, 12:00 AM