Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tough Texans try a scandinavian specialty
[video=liveleak]http://liveleak.com/view?i=d81_1366853584[/video]

This is what they were eating
[Image: 800px-Surstr%C3%B6mming.jpg]

Quote:Surströmming (pronounced [sʉ̌ːʂtrœmːɪŋ], Swedish "soured (Baltic) herring") is a staple of traditional northern Swedish cuisine and is fermented Baltic herring. The Baltic herring, known as strömming in Swedish, is smaller than the Atlantic herring, found in the North Sea, and traditionally the definition of strömming (Baltic herring) is herring fished in the brackish waters of the Baltic north of the Kalmar sound [1] The herring used for surströmming are caught just prior to spawning. The fermentation starts from a lactic acid enzyme in the spine of the fish, and so the fermentation is by autolysis; together with bacteria, pungent smelling acids are formed in the fish such as propionic acid, butyric acid and acetic acid.Hydrogen sulphide is also produced.

The salt raises the osmotic pressure of the brine above the zone where bacteria responsible for rotting (decomposition of proteins) can thrive and prevents decomposition of fish proteins into oligopeptides and amino acids. Instead the osmotic conditions enable the Haloanaerobium bacteria to prosper and decompose the fish glycogen into organic acids, making it sour (acidic). Fermented fish is an old staple in European cuisines; for example the ancient Greeks and Romans made a famous sauce from fermented fish called garum.[2]

At one time a Swedish Royal decree (förordning) that the producers had lobbied for at the end of the 1940s to prevent fish not properly fermented being sold, set sales of the current years' production in Sweden to begin no earlier than the third Thursday in August. The decree is no longer law, but the trade still abides by the date for the "premiere".[3]
When opened, the contents release a strong and sometimes overwhelming odour; the dish is ordinarily eaten outdoors. According to a Japanese study, a newly opened can of surströmming has one of the most putrid food smells in the world, even more so than similarly fermented fish dishes such as the Korean Hongeohoe or Japanese Kusaya.[4]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surströmming
be the best version of yourself, that's all you can do.
!! I want! soooo delicious!! I miss it! Sad
[Image: 61kfgjqll7.jpg]
[Image: cucubelu2.jpg]
[Image: 801768_101.png]
Former Stargate Worlds International Moderator
cucubelu, post: 90862, member: 15378 Wrote:!! I want! soooo delicious!! I miss it! Sad
looks nasty!!

bet it has a high amount of omega 3. does it?
be the best version of yourself, that's all you can do.
Spartacus, post: 90863, member: 1060 Wrote:looks nasty!!

bet it has a high amount of omega 3. does it?
Yup! Smile
You never get used to the smell...
[Image: 61kfgjqll7.jpg]
[Image: cucubelu2.jpg]
[Image: 801768_101.png]
Former Stargate Worlds International Moderator