Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rack Mounted PC - Any Experience?
Rabbit Wrote:
ruplayer Wrote:
Rabbit Wrote:
ruplayer Wrote:
PaSS Wrote:y not get a laptop lol :| just saying lol i relize laptops dont have the videocard power but its an  idea

any ways gl man sounds like fun

my two laptops have 4250 and 5870... you're wrong=)

The M5870 isn’t really much anymore... I had 2 of them and could not play on maxed settings for a few games that were already out.

The Mobility platform struggles with power and heat in terms of gaming... realize, that if the machine is powerful, it’s going to be loud with fans, or run very hot, and not be stable. I will probably never get a laptop as my main rig ever again... It just costs too much for something that isnt as good as the desktop. Mobility cards are always 2 steps downgraded from their larger desktop versions... Also they strugle to get enough Vram on the cards nowadays for the insane games coming out.

I'm talking about asus g73jh, it's called stealth because it's quiet, and has 1gb vram, I played battlefield bc2, black ops maxed out 40-50 fps... itel core i7 alone with good video card works perfectly fine.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wd-0WVA6FJI[/youtube]

My life is mobile, so it works for me.

I know exactly what laptop you have and the specs of it.  There is no way you played battlefield bc2 maxed out without the frames going lower then 40 and black opps is a console port to PC, designed to run on a game systems that were built years ago... ( Xbox and PS3 ). Anything lower then 60FPS is unacceptable for me with gaming... I guess it just depends on what your used too.

Try playing Crysis maxed out... It'll fall on its ass... I know, I used to have one as well. =|

I understand some people live a mobile life... and thankfully there are decent laptops out there that can get the job done... so to speak, like the laptop you have.
The human eye cant even see past I think 30 fps, so why do u need 60?
[Image: 171148_101.png]
DEAGLE > EVERYTHING
He isn't a human, he is a rabbit. A rabid one at that
Counter-Strike: Source
War-Lords.net Public Clan: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/W-L/

Contact xFerior (me) for more information on the Public Server clan.

[Image: 2evxipy.jpg]
You can tell the difference between 30fps and 60fps, when playing a video game. Trust me.
jesus if ur gonna build a comp build a microsoft not mac dont be a noob
It may drop to 30 with BC2 if there are explosions all over... maybe... but average is like 40-45, checked with fraps.

To be honest the only game I can't run maxed out is arma2, but it's because of stupid engine that bohemia use.

And 40 fps for me is enough bro=) I hope bf3 will work as well as bc2.
First off, cheers for hijacking my thread and talking about laptops.....

Second, it won't be getting placed near corners. Don't worry about that.

Third, if it was my choice, I would have Windows on it. But he's making it for the recording studio, and he uses Logic, and is very good with Logic, and all he uses is Macs, but doesn't want to shell out a ton for not a very good spec.

xFerior, do you have any information or anything that could help me with selecting the parts specifically? I found cases that take standard ATX motherboards and stuff, I just don't know about fitting in the graphics card and how much cooling it will need. I saw some pics of the guts of some rack PCs, and the graphics cards are mounted from another circuit board thing that comes off the mobo (as the mobo is lying down, but the gfx card needs to be parallel to it, which is impossible without that connecting circuit board between the PCIe slot).

Go make your own thread about gaming laptops please.
If you read this, you suck.
uhh not really, he built the rack, i built the computer and set it up for him. lol. Sorry :p
Counter-Strike: Source
War-Lords.net Public Clan: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/W-L/

Contact xFerior (me) for more information on the Public Server clan.

[Image: 2evxipy.jpg]
For a bunch of geeks, you lot sure are useless Tongue Nah kidding.

Well that's cool, I have been Googling around a bit, and I am just putting a little spec together for the general criticism (constructive, if anything). Will post when I get it all together.
One major recommendation: Make sure your spacing screws under the mobo are set to the correct height. Otherwise you could fry/damage the mobo first time you turn it on (took me forever to fix a computer someone dropped on my desk because of this).

On newegg, you can find low profile graphics cards but none of them are going to be that great, and you may need like a 90 degree pci-e adapter I believe which may or may not come w/ your case/mobo. Last I checked, there is not a big market for slim graphics cards, but if you look for ones that fit into micro atx cases you could get lucky.
"Most people think time is like a river, that flows swift and sure in one direction. But I have seen the face of time, and I can tell you, they are wrong. Time is an ocean in a storm."
Ah this thread is so old, we got a 3rd Mac instead Smile Cheers anyway.