Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Actually, it would be roughly 42MB per minute. SourceTV records the entire game(including other players, scores, free view, etc).

42(mb, because servers are 42 slots) * 1440(minutes) * 7(servers) = 423, 460MB.

I used 7 servers, instead of 12 because not every one of them are full. You could say it would take up roughly 423GB a day.
In that case it would be :

42mb per minute (1mb per minute per player, on a full server)

2520mb per hour

60480 per day (1 server)

423,360mb per day (7 servers).

Those would be the maximum though, if you're going on the premise that it costs 42mb a minute because its 1mb per minute per player. The servers aren't always completely full, so it would be a varying size.

Having said that, I have reviewed demos from other sites, and they are all around 20mb. That's SourceTV recorded ones, 20 minutes matches, with 20-40 players on the map.

You have to remember that everything that the demo runs on is already stored on your computer. All the textures and models are all in your cstrike folder, so the demo file is only code that just allows predetermined player movement to be rendered visually on your machine. It's not like screen capture, so I don't think it would be as big as you hypothesised. My sum at the top was only correcting your maths, as I feel that it was slightly flawed.
If you read this, you suck.
Yeah, made a mistake in the calculation. And...

Quote:I used 7 servers, instead of 12 because not every one of them are full. You could say it would take up roughly 0.5GB a day.
You know 423,460mb isn't half a gigabyte, right? I dunno where you got that from, but my my calculation (which is quite obviously wrong, since SourceTV demos only take about 20mb, as I stated previously) it would take 2.5gb per hour just on one server....
I just confused myself.  :o Gosh, I'm so dumb. Ignore my posts.  :-[
That's cool man, everyone messes up now and then Wink

EDIT : Okay well this seems like the best source (lol) for information on the subject :

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Source_TV

I read it and it seems pretty straightforward on getting the games recorded automatically and stuff. You could always test it out on one server and see how it goes (maybe test it on the scrim server and get an inhouse scrim on the go or something?). Anyways, hope this hasn't been forgotten about, I think it's the best suggestion I have ever made in my entire life (joking, but I thought it was kinda cool).

Thanks for reading Smile