Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you know what the cloud is? how i understand it, is that it all in internet space when you open a cloud website it makes it up randomly and saves on your computer as a cookie i really dont understand this "Cloud". Could anyone shred some light on this?
~The lonely Stoner seems to free his mind at night~
On the internet, when you access a webpage you are basically pulling a file off of another computer configured to serve it to your web browser. The cloud is essentially a fancy  bunch of computers in which people rent.

A cloud is just a cluster of servers. The cloud revolution that people reference these days simply means that instead of buying or renting individual machines, you can rent the computational resources themselves only as you need them from a large pool of machines. There is tons of fancy software to make things easier but at it's core, it is just renting computational resources instead of machines themselves. It allows for systems to scale easily on other peoples hardware, and reduces costs while improving reliability due to the centralization of hardware capacity across mega server farms. It is a lot cheaper for amazon to build one million node cluster than for 10000 people to build a 100 node cluster (10k data centers vs 1 big one) and thats really the central concept of everything 'cloud'.

Instead of buying a gasoline generator to get electricity you purchase the resources from a power company. Clouds are essentially the same concept but with computers instead of generators, and computational resources instead of electricity.
"Most people think time is like a river, that flows swift and sure in one direction. But I have seen the face of time, and I can tell you, they are wrong. Time is an ocean in a storm."
Short version : It's where you use the internet instead of hard drives.
If you read this, you suck.
I, The Rival Wrote:Short version : It's where you use the internet instead of hard drives.
i got it..
Dre@m$ Wrote:
I, The Rival Wrote:Short version : It's where you use the internet instead of hard drives.
i got it..

Thats cool man XD

don't listen to rival, that's retarded and not correct

the cloud is just like naive said, it's a large cluster of distributed computers that are set up to run highly distributed and parallel applications, the idea being
a) you need a lot of resources to compute something, you can do it cheaper on hundreds of cheap cloud computers vs super expensive on 1 super computer
b) you need to host files with really high traffic, the cloud acts as a load balancer, they all sync the files together and you get the first available and fastest system for you
c) you have an application that can be easily broken up into a distributed system and need high availability.

the cloud does work on the same principle as the internet to have a very high uptime, basically distributing all the requests to hundreds of systems (on a good cloud maybe thousands) and automatically removing any nodes that are down from the queue so it's hard to take the cloud down because you'd have to take down every single system
Leaky Wrote:

don't listen to rival, that's ******ed and not correct

No, I am right. You use the internet instead of hard drives, and you use unicorn hair instead of RAM.
Technically you're just using someone else's harddrives.
"Most people think time is like a river, that flows swift and sure in one direction. But I have seen the face of time, and I can tell you, they are wrong. Time is an ocean in a storm."
Nah I am just trolling.
lol with the cloud you can crack stuff alot easyer