Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Freedom, Morality and Law.
Wrote this a while ago, but thought some of you might have something to say about it.

True complete freedom would allow for chaotic criminality. It would allow each person to do any possible thing that they wanted, such as punching an old lady in the face because they found it funny, or murdering every single person they saw because they had the impulse to do it. This would negatively affect humanity, possibly to such a degree that it would be entirely destroyed. Regardless, the quality of life for every person (including you) would diminish. Thus it is evident that each person must sacrifice elements of their freedom for the greater benefit of everybody.

Law is simply the legalised sum of society's collective morality. Morality is learnt by the individual via interactions with societies. Morality and law are not things which are set out to disadvantage us, they are the exact opposite. Morality is learnt by each person so that they can have mutually beneficial relationships with other people. Law is the official and enforced representation of the morality of the majority of society. the actual intention of law is that it exists to enable the best interests of humanity as a whole.

In summation:
1. We all must sacrifice absolute freedom for the overall benefit of society.
2. Morality is necessary for us to cooperate in a functional way within society.
3. We (not some assumed group of apathetic machines) created law to represent the morality of society's majority, because it serves almost all of our own best interests.
[Image: 2ntzjn7.png]
silly (no sound): you need to learn
Zero: i taught you
silly (no sound): how to be cool like me
Zero: you knifed me when i retired
silly (no sound): I have hopes for you
silly (no sound): to be my apprentice
silly (no sound): my prodigy
silly (no sound): to carry on my legacy
silly (no sound): good luck padawan
silly (no sound): may the force be with you
Zero: lol
Zero: why you make it sound that you are never coming back alive master?
Zero: Tongue
silly (no sound): I will
silly (no sound): when you're ready
silly (no sound): to show me what you've learnt
silly (no sound): when you're a jedi