Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Teaching binary to 3rd graders.
Teaching binary arithmetic to 3rd graders using the Socratic method of teaching (asking questions) in 25 minutes.

"There were 22 students in the class. I was told ahead of time by two different teachers (not the classroom teacher) that only a couple of students would be able to understand and follow what I would be presenting. When the class period ended, I and the classroom teacher believed that at least 19 of the 22 students had fully and excitedly participated and absorbed the entire material. "

http://www.garlikov.com/Soc_Meth.html
"Most people think time is like a river, that flows swift and sure in one direction. But I have seen the face of time, and I can tell you, they are wrong. Time is an ocean in a storm."
naive Wrote:Teaching binary arithmetic to 3rd graders using the Socratic method of teaching (asking questions) in 25 minutes.

"There were 22 students in the class. I was told ahead of time by two different teachers (not the classroom teacher) that only a couple of students would be able to understand and follow what I would be presenting. When the class period ended, I and the classroom teacher believed that at least 19 of the 22 students had fully and excitedly participated and absorbed the entire material. "

http://www.garlikov.com/Soc_Meth.html
hmmm...not bad ! you're a smart person...
I believe that's a quote, mahyar. 3rd graders don't have the traditional understanding of addition and subtraction programmed in them yet. Binary arithmetic just involves two numbers too, so I would think it'd be much simpler.

Haven't read the full article yet though.

Edit: I've read it. Great article for current and potential educators. I was a temp relief/substitute physics teacher a few years back. I tried to implement inquiry-based learning in some of my lessons. It wasn't always successful. But I'll fault that on my lack of preparation.

" This method takes a lot of energy and concentration when you are doing it fast, the way I like to do it when beginning a new topic. A teacher cannot do this for every topic or all day long, at least not the first time one teaches particular topics this way. It takes a lot of preparation, and a lot of thought. When it goes well, as this did, it is so exciting for both the students and the teacher that it is difficult to stay at that peak and pace or to change gears or topics. When it does not go as well, it is very taxing trying to figure out what you need to modify or what you need to say. I practiced this particular sequence of questioning a little bit one time with a first grade teacher. I found a flaw in my sequence of questions. I had to figure out how to correct that. I had time to prepare this particular lesson; I am not a teacher but a volunteer; and I am not a mathematician. I came to the school just to do this topic that one period."

The education system in my country(and probably most developed countries) mainly focuses on quantitative results. In general, mathematics in high schools is taught through brute-force techniques. Just keep practising until you get it. In the local papers, they highlighted how some parents of high school students spent about $8000 a month on private tutors. I expect this form of "Socratic" teaching involves a lot of time. Time I don't think most teachers feel they have enough to carry out such a novel pedagogy.

Great article though. Gonna share it on Facebook to make myself look cool now. 8)
be the best version of yourself, that's all you can do.
naive Wrote:http://www.garlikov.com/Soc_Meth.html
Very interesting!

Spartacus Wrote:Gonna share it on Facebook to make myself look cool now. 8)
Rofl...
[Image: bxj6gaq99c9hyvinfkvn.jpg]
[Image: w0l5y0.png]