Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Computer terms:
  • CPU: Central Processing Unit
    The CPU is the "brain" of the computer, it processes instructions and links software and hardware together.
  • PSU: Power Supply Unit
    The PSU is the power supply for the computer, it handles power distribution to the main board (mother board) and the various other peripherals on the computer.
  • Main Board / Mother Board
    This is the central hub for all of the components of the computer, it links everything together with the CPU, PSU, BIOS, RAM, etc.
  • ROM: Read Only Memory
    This is a type of memory that can only be read from but not written to (although they can actually be written to it just has to be done in a special way). ROM does not need power to retain its data.
  • RAM: Random Access Memory
    This is a type of memory that can be read from and written to, the main use of RAM in a computer is to store program and OS data and instructions to reduce load times. Without RAM everything would have to be read straight from the drive which is bottle necked by the seek time of the drive, RAM has an extremely low seek time if any. Most forms of RAM require power to retain their data, the kind used as "memory" in a computer for instance. Some forms do not require power but operate at slower speeds such as flash media.
  • BIOS: Basic Input/Output System
    The BIOS are what runs when your computer first turns on, the BIOS are stored in a ROM chip on the Main Board and fed directly to the CPU to initialize all the components of the main board, spin up the HDD and begin reading from the "boot sector" of the HDD. Once the boot sector has been found then processing is handed over and the BIOS stand by not really doing much.
  • HDD: Hard Disk Drive
    The HDD is your hard drive. Presently HDDs come in 2 types, SSD and Platter. A platter drive uses spinning disks (usually ceramic, glass or plastic) coated in a special metalic chemical designed to hold a very small magnetic field. Platter drives have a high seek time compared to flash media because the disk has to physically spin to the correct location and position the read head in the correct place to read the magnetic bit. The alternative is SSD, typically flash media, which has a very low seek time because the data is stored electronically in a special type of persistent RAM, ram that retains it's data after loss of power. SSD media doesn't really have a seek time because the data is stored in an addressable array and pulled straight out of that address. Other delays in accessing media include Read time, Write time.

[/hr]

Data Terms:
  • Bit
    The smallest amount of data that can be stored. A bit is either 1 or 0, on or off
  • Nibble
    4 bits
  • Byte/Octet
    8 Bits
  • WORD
    2 Bytes, 16 bits
  • DWORD
    2 WORDs, 4 Bytes, 32 Bits
  • QWORD
    2 DWORDs, 4 WORDs, 8 Bytes, 64 Bits

[/hr]

Network Terms:
coming soon.
Thank you Captain Obvious! ;D Jk bro thanks for the info! Big Grin
[Image: vha1a2b86oc8b99r7az.jpg][Image: 406758_601.png]
Don't want to boast, but I taught leaky everything he knows. Good job!
[Image: 2ntzjn7.png]
silly (no sound): you need to learn
Zero: i taught you
silly (no sound): how to be cool like me
Zero: you knifed me when i retired
silly (no sound): I have hopes for you
silly (no sound): to be my apprentice
silly (no sound): my prodigy
silly (no sound): to carry on my legacy
silly (no sound): good luck padawan
silly (no sound): may the force be with you
Zero: lol
Zero: why you make it sound that you are never coming back alive master?
Zero: Tongue
silly (no sound): I will
silly (no sound): when you're ready
silly (no sound): to show me what you've learnt
silly (no sound): when you're a jedi
War-lords college.

Presenting Prof Leaky.
be the best version of yourself, that's all you can do.
And his assistant Silly?
BaNaNaMaN Wrote:And his assistant Silly?
Yeah, and he's the assistant of the assistant.
[Image: 2ntzjn7.png]
silly (no sound): you need to learn
Zero: i taught you
silly (no sound): how to be cool like me
Zero: you knifed me when i retired
silly (no sound): I have hopes for you
silly (no sound): to be my apprentice
silly (no sound): my prodigy
silly (no sound): to carry on my legacy
silly (no sound): good luck padawan
silly (no sound): may the force be with you
Zero: lol
Zero: why you make it sound that you are never coming back alive master?
Zero: Tongue
silly (no sound): I will
silly (no sound): when you're ready
silly (no sound): to show me what you've learnt
silly (no sound): when you're a jedi
http://www.techterms.com/category/hardware
[Image: jqmd52.png][Image: Craack.gif]
trueplayer Wrote:http://www.techterms.com/category/hardware

You just hit the spot.. who ever visits this link to read and learn will win the lotto when it comes to computer knowledge. some great information here and could help out a lot of new people to computers or to anyone that don't know about the hardware of they computer.
All the cool hackers know about The Jargon File.

http://www.catb.org/jargon/

http://www.catb.org/jargon/html/go01.html
"Most people think time is like a river, that flows swift and sure in one direction. But I have seen the face of time, and I can tell you, they are wrong. Time is an ocean in a storm."