Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
                                                    Da Hong Pao Tea

(Big Red Robe Tea)

Da Hong Pao Tea is one of the most famous Chinese teas. Belonging to the Oolong category of tea, the tea has a long history and some wonderful legends surrounding it. The English name for the tea is Big Red Robe. The tea was first produced on Wuyi Mountain in the north of China's Fujian Province. Of the four Oolong Teas which grow on Wuyi Mountain, Da Hong Pao is unquestionably the most famous. The other three are; Tie Luo Han, Bai Ji Guan, and Shui Jin Gui.

Legends Of Da Hong Pao Tea
According to legend, the tea was named after a gift given to the trees from an emperor. During the Ming Dynasty, an emperor's mother was gravely ill. She drank the Tea and immediately felt better and was soon cured. The emperor in gratitude for the tea sent large amounts of rare red cloth to cover the trees during winter to insure that they did not die from the cold. The locals then started to call the tree Big Red Robe Tea because of the red cloth.
[Image: Dahongpao-original-trees.jpg]

[Image: Dahongpao-trees.jpg]
Top: The original Trees
Bottom: Tea Trees surrounded by beautiful scenery

History
Before going into the history of the tea, it is important to go back a bit farther to explain what was happening in the world of tea. During the Yuan Dynasty Wuyi was famed for its production of Dragon and Phoenix Tea Cakes, which were sent as tribute to the emperor every year. During that time people did not drink loose leaf tea. Instead they would take the cakes and grind them into powder to brew tea. The first emperor of the Ming Dynasty (1368-1644) proclaimed that only loose leaf tea was to be sent as tribute. This caused the entire Wuyi market to collapse instantly. The Tea Farmers on Wuyi Mountain got together and created a new type of loose leaf tea, which became Oolong Teas. Three of the original Da Hong Pao Tea trees are still living on Wuyi Mountain and are believed to date back to the Song Dynasty (960-1279). These trees still produce leaves and every year those leaves are made into what is probably the most expensive tea on earth. The tea is picked and processed by only the best Da Hong Pao Tea producers in China. A portion of the tea goes directly to the President of China and the remainder is sold at auction. The leaves sell for millions of U.S. Dollars per Kilo. Many cuttings have been taken from these trees to create today's Da Hong Pao and the quality of the leaves is graded depending on how close to the original trees the trees are located.

[Image: Dahongpao-leaves.jpg]

[Image: Dahongpao-liquid.jpg]
Top: Da Hong Pao Tea leaves
Bottom: The brewed tea's color

Fake Teas
There are a lot of fake Da Hong Pao Teas out there, especially when it comes to the tea from the ancient trees. Virtually all of the teas claiming to come from those original trees are fake, so if someone is claiming they have tea from those trees, stear clear. It is not too difficult to tell the difference between the real and the fake teas. The fake teas do not have the rich aroma and complex flavor of the original. It is important when purchasing any kind of tea that you buy from a reputable dealer with access to the original tea producers.

http://www.chinese-tea-culture.com/da-hong-pao-tea.html

I buy clones from China town, they come from the same area. This is a bit pricy, but worth it for me. I actually bought one for $40 per lb, $120 per lb, $250 per lb. I do feel the difference. Now only buying the most expensive one but little portions. Once you try this, you become addicted.
[Image: jqmd52.png][Image: Craack.gif]
tell mr. tea to read this.
-[ex]iSpy- Wrote:tell mr. tea to read this.

Mr. Tea is cheap, I will need to pull up some Lipton thread for him lol.
trueplayer Wrote:[glow=red,2,300]Mr. Tea is cheap, I will need to pull up some Lipton thread for him lo[/glow]l.
i bet he gonna mad if he see trueplayer post this tread into his inbox
-[ex]iSpy- Wrote:tell mr. tea to read this.
LOL Big Grin
[Image: Dilmah-Logo.jpg]

Good enough for me.
be the best version of yourself, that's all you can do.
Chinese love to drink "hot" tea in the summer,.... isn't that kinda hot.
BRABUS Wrote:Chinese love to drink "hot" tea in the summer,.... isn't that kinda hot.

Quote:According to TCM understanding, tea has both sweet and bitter flavors and possesses cooling properties. Tea helps to refresh the mind, enhance alertness and boost concentration. Tea can also promote body fluid production, quench thirst, clear heat and phlegm, promotes digestion and urination. Traditionally, it is used as:
A beverage to relieve indigestion and smooth bowel movements. It is especially good when combined with Tetradium ruticarpum (wu zhu yu), ginger or green onion. It is also used to relieve headaches, dizziness, heat stroke and sleepiness.
An antidote to clear toxic heat evils by promoting bowel movements and urination.
When tea is processed with vinegar, it can relieve diarrhea. Decoction of fried tea can treat dysentery.
A concentrated decoction of tea is used to expel phlegm due to wind evil and heat invasion.

http://www.shen-nong.com/eng/lifestyles/...ealth.html
be the best version of yourself, that's all you can do.
Spartacus Wrote:
BRABUS Wrote:Chinese love to drink "hot" tea in the summer,.... isn't that kinda hot.

Quote:According to TCM understanding, tea has both sweet and bitter flavors and possesses cooling properties. Tea helps to refresh the mind, enhance alertness and boost concentration. Tea can also promote body fluid production, quench thirst, clear heat and phlegm, promotes digestion and urination. Traditionally, it is used as:
A beverage to relieve indigestion and smooth bowel movements. It is especially good when combined with Tetradium ruticarpum (wu zhu yu), ginger or green onion. It is also used to relieve headaches, dizziness, heat stroke and sleepiness.
An antidote to clear toxic heat evils by promoting bowel movements and urination.
When tea is processed with vinegar, it can relieve diarrhea. Decoction of fried tea can treat dysentery.
A concentrated decoction of tea is used to expel phlegm due to wind evil and heat invasion.

http://www.shen-nong.com/eng/lifestyles/...ealth.html

wow, thanks for the info.
but i rather have a cold Coke in the summer.
You can have cold brisk too lol(it's still Lipton)