Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Valve's Source 2 Engine in development
A sudden rash of curious coders have discovered references to a couple of projects being developed behind closed doors at Valve. Code references, very specific code references, in the recently released Source Filmmaker unveil Valve's development of a Source 2 engine -- also labeled as "next-gen", which may be significant. There are also slightly less direct mentions that allude to the development of Half Life 2: Episode 3, just folders named "ep3" and model-work featuring Half Life characters like Alyx.

One of the files in question, discovered by members of the Valve Time community, can be found at the path ".../SourceFilmmaker/game/sdktools/python/global/lib/site-packages/vproj/vproj.py", and the text therein is as follows:

Line 1387:

'''Return an str with the current engine version.
If key doesn't doesn't exist, assume 'Source', otherwise invalid -- assume next-gen 'Source 2'.'''

The file includes more 60 references to the Source 2 engine, thought the lines above are probably the clearest. And as the news gets out, more and more sites are reporting their various Source 2 findings from the code of Source Filmmaker. None are as outright declaratory as the line above, but at this point it's as clear as day Valve's Source 2 engine is a very real, and very tangible thing.

One last thing I wanted to note was Valve's use of the term "next-gen" in describing their Source 2 engine. While this term could certainly simply be pertaining to the fact that Source 2 is a generation apart from the original, next-gen is typically a very console specific expression. Could Valve be developing their engine to work in conjunction with next-gen consoles, especially considering their recent friendliness with Sony? This is all deep speculation of course, but something I couldn't help pondering.

Good news all around for Valve fans Half Life fans, as this at least confirms Valve is working on something. Personally, I find it borderline insulting Valve hasn't found it in them to release a Half-Life since Episode 2. There's a thin line between canceling/delaying projects because you're unhappy with their quality and withholding a property because it's impossible to live up to expectations. Make Episode 3, make Half-Life 3, and we'll all feel rewarded, Valve.

http://www.neoseeker.com/news/20197-valv...eferences/
[Image: jqmd52.png][Image: Craack.gif]
finally... although we likely wont get to play any games on this engine for a couple of years
oh my fucking god i would LOVE hl3 to come out i cant get Enough for Half life i love the hl2 so much xD.
~The lonely Stoner seems to free his mind at night~
im expecting some Frostbite2 Physics and Codemaster's graphic level.
Can you imagine?
CSS + BF3 + Dirt 3(graphic)
Other game developers move with time as well.
[Image: jqmd52.png][Image: Craack.gif]
i just want the game industry to reach level where every game would be like Arma 3 + BF3.
Dre@m$, post: 71558, member: 541 Wrote:oh my fucking god i would LOVE hl3 to come out i cant get Enough for Half life i love the hl2 so much xD.
I wont really give shit on Half Life 3 because PPLS MUST GO EP3
Just Go With IT. √

Why are you even looking here? scroll down if you can.
Yuuki <3, post: 71590, member: 8153' Wrote:i just want the game industry to reach level where every game would be like Arma 3 + BF3.
Future, hold this kid down.
[Image: 1UH9a8H.png]

[Image: 5pfuEDP.gif]
DK, post: 73214, member: 3039 Wrote:Future, hold this kid down.
YOU CANT STOP ME, MUHAHAH
Half life has always been about revolutionizing the industry with their top of the art graphic engine. Half life and Half Life 2 awed a lot of people with their face and world demonstrations. The reason for such a long wait is the fact that right now Unreal engine and the other engines out there are kinda kicking ass, and they have more than likely had to redevelop their new engine in order to awe us once again. They have yet to disappoint! Smile
[Image: 61kfgjqll7.jpg]
[Image: cucubelu2.jpg]
[Image: 801768_101.png]
Former Stargate Worlds International Moderator