Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
cs:s server constant lag spikes
ramesh from india Wrote:I face this problem too , there is a sudden dip in fps and u start lagging , fa me it usually happens when there are a lotta people in the same place on the map exchanging fire . i cud be wrong about the reason ( im a computer illiterate ) , but it happens frequently . i have a laptop with decent/good config . i use a fps booster too . but still i have lag spikes outta no where . im sure its a prob on my end and bison has been helpin me to fix them . on the off chance tat its a server side issue , can u notify me ? cos i wudnt keep trying to fix something on my laptop .  :-\

most likely it wouldnt be ur laptop, since css doesnt need that high of a specs to play...
it will probably be server-side or ur connection to the server...
when i said connection, it means not only ur dl/up speed but also ur distance...
i finally managed to catch a lag spike, although just a second or two too late.

the red bars/gaps correspond with a laggy "bounce back" that lasted 2 realtime seconds. At no time during the lag spike did loss or choke become nonzero, although i always get 0 loss and as high as 30 choke whenever a new round starts.

screenshot taken 09/12 at 0347a, on popular maps 2.

Attached Files

.jpg   righthalf.jpg (Size: 163.66 KB / Downloads: 0)
What that is telling us is that you are receiving a large amount of data at a slower rate (from the server) than necessary to keep the game running smoothly :

- "In : 576" is the size of the incoming packets from the server.
- "7.05k/s" is the rate in kilobytes (per second) that you are receiving the packets of data from the server.
- "33.3/s" is the times per second your computer is receiving info from the server.

The amount of "in" updates should never exceed the servers tickrate (in this case, 66). As you're experiencing no loss or choke, then no packets are being lost or not received by you. That means that you are taking in and sending all the packets that you should be, but there is too much going on, which causes this lag spike in your game. You see, you're taking in too much and sending out too much all at the same time, and your network can't handle that.

I think that's right?
If you read this, you suck.
i honestly think its server side..... i experience it too and when it happens EVERY one in the server complains about it... it has gotten worse over the past few weeks... i have tweaked my settings to work great but still have random server side lag.... whats the servers FPS set to?
"I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I’ll kill you all." - General James N. Mattis

3/5 GET SOME!
I, The Rival Wrote:I have to say, I have been experiencing a few lag spikes. I don't think it's the servers though, since my FPS goes down and my choke goes up slightly when it happens. I think it's players not having their reg set properly, and then blaming the servers. This could be legitimate though.
Doubt it, it's probably the server.

At times, for many players, the server will simply seem to stop and 1/2 the players will seem to stop moving, and then when it catches up, half of em are dead... A LOT of regulars who aren't on the forums have been experiencing this problem.
[Image: JokerSig.jpg]
i play on pop maps 2 a lot, i see server lag spikes all the time where everyone spikes simultaneously
[Image: Zenk-4.jpg]
its definately the server because when the spikes come everyone feels it and everyone types out "LAGGG!!" i get it a lot too, i havent really observed when it happens though, usually after midnight though cause thats when i usually play
Helmut^ : Black dont act as if you don't wall
B L A C K D Y N A M I T E : lol record me
Helmut^ Confusedo you can pretend like you cant see people through walls? no thanks

*DEAD* Helmut : chun is such bullshit
*DEAD* Helmut : lmfao
*DEAD* Helmut : what a fucking joke

Helmut: you're so full of shit chun
ChuN*BWP*: then your bad dude...
Helmut: right kid
Is this also happening on the 24/7 servers too? I'm trying to narrow this down.
Matt Wrote:Is this also happening on the 24/7 servers too? I'm trying to narrow this down.

yes matt , this happens on 24*7 servers too . specially on the d2 server Sad
[Image: 21abvjs.png]
So far I have primarily seen this on high population servers. Possibly a processing chokepoint as opposed to bandwidth.

Movement is smooth and hits seem to register well for me when there are 10-20 people in the server. When there are 30-40, occasionally movement is jumpy and hit registration is often sporatic.

However, my daytime ISP isn't really reliable, so i'm not sure if anyone else can confirm this information.