Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rules for the server
SOMANYKITTENS Wrote:What you guys don't seem to get is that "common sense" is not enough to justify the banning of an individual.

Pretty sure that the server owners can choose to ban whoever they want, for whatever they want. They just use a moral compass to decide what should and shouldn't be allowed on their servers. The key here being that they own the server. If you came over to my house, and start messing stuff up, I am pretty sure I would be allowed to kick you out without having to point out a list of rules on the wall. You're just in a flurry because you were banned for being racist.

SOMANYKITTENS Wrote:There is no such thing as "common sense" when it comes to comments made online in virtual gaming, or in internet forums such as 4chan, as you so aptly mentioned Rival.

I have seen your chat logs. I would understand if you were saying other things besides the comments that you did make. Sure, every once in a while I will curse at another player on the server, but a lot of the chat I do is tactical, or just social. You're chat log, on the other hand, was just back to back profanity. So sure, comments made in virtual gaming don't have much common sense to them, but there are times when you just have to think "Is all this cursing really necessary? Do I need to be spamming the chat box with racist remarks, to try and get a laugh?". The answer is no.

4chan is different. There are a lot worse things that go on there than swearing. It's full of people who obviously weren't told that they were loved enough when they were younger. They use anonymity to take out their inner hatred, or just to troll. Either way, it's the toilet of the internet. This place isn't 4chan, and for a good reason. It's because people here are more of a community. We know each other, and we are friendly to one another. If 4chan had user info, it would be a completely different place.

SOMANYKITTENS Wrote:Most servers are run on CS:Source with a codified set of rules. These rules state certain things are ok and not ok in order to clear up any confusion that may arise from players jumping from server to server, where things that are allowed in one server may not be allowed in another (For instance, language that may be allowed in one server but not in another).

Sure, the most difference between servers would be that profanity is allowed. That's the only common difference between servers that you could claim. Things like racism being allowed, hacking being allowed, mic spamming being allowed, all those things are only acceptable on an extremely small percentage of servers. It's not 50/50. You can't claim "Oh I have been to a ton of servers that let me call people horrible derogatory terms", because that's just not true. If that's what you want from a server, then why not just go to those servers? I know it's a bit lame to say it, but if you don't like the way the server is run, there are thousands out there for you to choose from.

SOMANYKITTENS Wrote:"Common sense" cannot be used as a guiding signpost for players and their conduct in the server. The room for misinterpretation is too high, by admins and players alike.

This is a serious problem that needs looking into.

But I use common sense in the servers all the time. Maybe it's just the way I was conditioned when I was a young lad, but I use common sense every single day. Sure, I get so stoned that I am clinically dead, but I can still fathom what's acceptable on a mass scale. I mean surely things like "Don't be racist" apply to pretty much everyone, whether it's in a game or not.

After all of that, I do agree that some rules and guidelines should be available for everybody to read. But I do think that it's pathetic that you can't seem to figure out that certain things are just not acceptable to say. Just saying.
If you read this, you suck.

Messages In This Thread
Rules for the server - by SOMANYKITTENS - Jul 12 2011, 07:01 AM
RE: Rules for the server - by I, The Rival - Jul 12 2011, 07:14 AM
RE: Rules for the server - by Loks - Jul 12 2011, 07:34 AM
RE: Rules for the server - by SOMANYKITTENS - Jul 12 2011, 08:10 AM
RE: Rules for the server - by I, The Rival - Jul 12 2011, 08:38 AM
RE: Rules for the server - by SOMANYKITTENS - Jul 12 2011, 09:30 AM
RE: Rules for the server - by M. Bison - Jul 12 2011, 10:12 AM
RE: Rules for the server - by Matt - Jul 15 2011, 10:35 AM