Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Map suggestions and a video promotion offer
Hello (first post), I have a few suggestions that have been rattling around in my brain. First of all- great servers. The popular maps server handles 48 very well; especially after the 2010 orange box update. The general attitude is positive and the in-game settings are tweaked very nicely.

MAPS

What I think should go:

de_lite
de_cache
de_ballast_rc2

These maps are not bad, don't get me wrong. However, they are specifically designed for the competitive atmosphere. And by competitive, I mean 5 v 5. The landscape isn't diverse enough to offer a larger crowd any fluity and the fronts, whether A, B or middle, is immediately congested. These maps reward delay and baiting and turn every round into a grind. This isn't always the case, but I think the lack of dynamics (open spaces, vertical positions) tends to breed an unconscious boredom and disinterest among the dead. I don't hear much defense for these maps and they persist merely as default maps to be voted on. I understand why they were added, but I don't think they're conducive to larger populations.

Additions that could work:

de_tuscan:
http://css.gamebanana.com/maps/158440

The tweaked version of de_cpl_mill. I think this map is superior to mill in that the right room (SA2) can be defended against rush, B is now workable instead of a one time rush, sewers doesn't bleed resources and partition map control. It's pretty. I hate the sewers thing on mill, but I understand it's charm and don't mind it staying.

de_aztec:

There is enough courage and rush friendly players floating around to keep this map on an even keel. If de_cbble is welcome and voted on, than I don't see why this can't be brought back. Broad open spaces, rush friendly.

de_forest:
http://css.gamebanana.com/maps/35559

This map I'd LOVE to see. Plenty of pathways while maintaining the figure 8 standard that keeps maps fluid. Very vertical and independent player friendly. Many a clutch possible. Of course this is a forest, and camping and hiding will be an asset to any player- however, its open nature and ease of passage for larger rush parties (with smokes and flashes themselves) should not be stopped from a few stragglers under a log. It's a gorgeous map designed for larger servers and I think its a travesty that this map wasn't used more often in the golden days of source.

de_wanda:
http://css.gamebanana.com/maps/19140

Another gorgeous map. A large map, vertical dynamics with large open fighting rooms and outside balcony area. Unique in concept and structure. It's downfall was how large and harsh it was on lesser computers. However, its been maybe 6-7 years since it was introduced and I think the majority of players may have better computers to keep up with it. I think its time for a large server to give it another shot before it disappears into obscurity for good.

cs_thunder_ti:
http://css.gamebanana.com/maps/4479

cs_thunder was a great addition that came late to the original counter-strike. A good concept with a dual layered very long range dam area with a room to room inside for close concept. The outside is OPTIONAL and interconnected with doors (without any entangling objects to bog down a redirected rush), which keeps the snipers on edge in case of a close break out. The hostage area is clean and not camping friendly. cs_thunder_ti is one of two versions, I prefer this one as it is cleaner and a little darker with a prodigy feel.

de_secretcamp:
http://css.gamebanana.com/maps/19322

A solid and popular custom map that's built for larger public servers. A high ground control area in middle (like dust2) with an open close up front near A without many defensive advantages inside. B bombsite is small with a breezy thoroughfare that will keep a rush fluid.

de_island:
http://css.gamebanana.com/maps/23775

This is a map I remember from back when. Probably got very little play time and is absent in most veteran's memories. But! Since war-lords has a good rushing population, I thought this map could work very well. It's a siege type strategy map, much like compound in a sense, but a little more collective for the terrorists. Just a shot in the dark if interested.

(A quick note, if anyone can find the map de_shogun for source, THAT would be a GREAT addition. I just can't find it.)

Voting System Adjustment

I think the nomination system is backwards. If the first nominated map were to be placed at number 4 and then so on, it would encourage nominations and not have them negated by the silly back burner set up there is currently. If you want to nominate a map, and do so first you are automatically throwing your nomination away.

Also, I heard another great suggestion (if possible) to have the numbers for the maps randomized for each player.

Ranking System

If the algorithms are available, I think I have some ideas for a ranking system overhaul that would improve their prestige greatly. Right now, like most ranking systems, they are set up to favor players that are most active. The majority of players, which are usually 90% regulars including up to maybe 200-250 players, are very aware of this and the rankings are not respected for the sake of skill. If the powers at be are worried that the rankings influence players to be more active- I don't think you have to worry. There is a great atmosphere and many players are there to enjoy the strong competition and community already established.

If the rankings could be concentrated in these areas I believe they will be respected and actively checked and compared:

- frags per minute (25%)
- headshot percentage (10%)
- killing higher ranked players (12%)
- first blood (10%)
- total damage (10%)
- streak bonus (13%)
- frags near objective (terrorists) (5% addition per certain units)
- playing time (5%)

percentages added are my opinion on what their weight should be**

Lerp

I wasn't sure if it was possible, but it would everyone out if there was automatic adjustment in interp ratio and rates to standardize lerp at 15.2. This is the league recommended setting.

Video Promotion and Creation

I have a produced some frag videos of my own and have had some university level editing courses. I have an idea:

A frag video promotional each month of the best plays of the top 10-25 ranked players in the server. This of course is contingent on the suggested ranking adjustments. Otherwise, I could just cherry pick any attached demos sent to me. I can do a separate post to explain the simplest way of keeping track of demos and ways to send them to me. I think this will keep the ranking system and competitive nature of the server healthily above average and collect a lot of new players (not that there's any room). I saw a post about video promotion earlier and I'd love to contribute.

Thanks for the considerations. Let me know what you think with some feedback.

-Eric
Yes, this is not acceptable. Talking about aztec, we need it back.
[Image: jqmd52.png][Image: Craack.gif]
Rulayer, that round on train would be something I'd love to feature. That was great.
wanda and forrest are exquisite and not sure whether all the players are able to run it but I still love wonda cuz the scenary is amazing.Smile
For a first post this was quite interesting/impressive to read, and I agree. Full support on this.
d3vaLL, post: 93381, member: 16849 Wrote:Rulayer, that round on train would be something I'd love to feature. That was great.
Thanks, 11 deagle kills in one round and my team still lost it. I didn't record itSad
[Image: jqmd52.png][Image: Craack.gif]
i would like to see some new map tho +1
Actually I do miss aztec too. I hated it for a while but I think we should get it back, it is fun no matter how ct sided it is. I would keep cache though.
sounds good to me. tired of the same maps anyways.
Fantastic map suggestions, although cache is my current favorite map. I also wouldn't mind seeing nightfever and ruskka go away in favor of some of these maps.