Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Server Population
Hello wL,

I think the population of the servers needs to be addressed. Obviously moving a server would abandon population right off the back. However, hosting a pub in a Central location is a sure way to not get any type of population. It's pretty simple. If a player pulls up their player list, they are going to go to the server with most people and lowest ping. Since the majority of people in the US are either on the East or West coast, then obviously coastal servers would show up first. If you went to GameTracker, you will see that the most popular servers are on the coast. Not one of them is Central. If a server is to be Central and survive, it would need to be hosted in Chicago and have people idle 24/7. Dallas servers will NEVER populate. I'm not here to slam wL cause I loved playing in your servers when they were West coast.

If wL is to repopulate, the servers need to be moved. My 2 cents..

sUiCiDeR
.s3G | sUiCiDeR, post: 110583, member: 16913 Wrote:I think the population of the servers needs to be addressed. Obviously moving a server would abandon population right off the back.
There has been effort to address the relatively small server population. It will probably take some time to do given all the factors working against us.

.s3G | sUiCiDeR, post: 110583, member: 16913 Wrote:However, hosting a pub in a Central location is a sure way to not get any type of population. It's pretty simple. If a player pulls up their player list, they are going to go to the server with most people and lowest ping.
I think server population and where your friends are playing hold far more sway than latency. This assumes latency isn't excessively high and instead remains within acceptable limits (<100ms). The preferred latency would probably be <60ms though.

.s3G | sUiCiDeR, post: 110583, member: 16913 Wrote:If you went to GameTracker, you will see that the most popular servers are on the coast. Not one of them is Central.
Some of what you stated is true but this is not

http://www.gametracker.com/search/css/US...&order=ASC

US #1 (#1 World) - Chicago, IL
US #2 (#7 World) - Dallas, TX
US #3 (#13 World) - Chicago, IL
US #4 (#14 World) - Dallas, TX
US #5 (#18 World) - Dallas, TX

.s3G | sUiCiDeR, post: 110583, member: 16913 Wrote:If a server is to be Central and survive, it would need to be hosted in Chicago and have people idle 24/7. Dallas servers will NEVER populate.
That is an odd assertion to make for two reasons:
  1. For you, in terms of latency, Dallas would be preferred over Chicago.
  2. Three of the top five servers are in Dallas.
There's nothing wrong with Dallas in terms of location. I'll concede there are problems with the current Dallas provider though. It doesn't look like any of their transit providers' networks go directly to the Pacific Northwest. That translates into higher than usual latency to players in Seattle and Vancouver. The players on Shaw Cable are particularly affected.
Steam Wrote: 4:02 PM - George, of the jungle: was out
4:02 PM - George, of the jungle: bison, dude
4:02 PM - Brawl Bashin’ Bison: ???
4:02 PM - George, of the jungle: you're very rude towards alina
4:02 PM - George, of the jungle: how about unbanning her friend?
4:02 PM - George, of the jungle: I mean
4:02 PM - George, of the jungle: it's only gamebanana skins
4:02 PM - Brawl Bashin’ Bison: LOL
4:02 PM - George, of the jungle: ^^
4:02 PM - Brawl Bashin’ Bison: LOLOL
4:02 PM - George, of the jungle: lol
Since the server population currently is non-existent, wouldn't now be an opportune time to attempt to migrate to a West Coast datacenter? I mean, at this point it wouldn't hurt. I think it would be in our benefit.

sUiCiDeR
.s3G | sUiCiDeR, post: 110585, member: 16913 Wrote:Since the server population currently is non-existent
That may be true for Popular Maps, but not the other servers. There's a handful of them with decent population levels. A move to the west coast would alienate the existing user base, which consists of east coast players.

.s3G | sUiCiDeR, post: 110585, member: 16913 Wrote:wouldn't now be an opportune time to attempt to migrate to a West Coast datacenter?
Not really. The server's bill was recently paid.
Steam Wrote: 4:02 PM - George, of the jungle: was out
4:02 PM - George, of the jungle: bison, dude
4:02 PM - Brawl Bashin’ Bison: ???
4:02 PM - George, of the jungle: you're very rude towards alina
4:02 PM - George, of the jungle: how about unbanning her friend?
4:02 PM - George, of the jungle: I mean
4:02 PM - George, of the jungle: it's only gamebanana skins
4:02 PM - Brawl Bashin’ Bison: LOL
4:02 PM - George, of the jungle: ^^
4:02 PM - Brawl Bashin’ Bison: LOLOL
4:02 PM - George, of the jungle: lol
Thanks for the feedback Bison. Much appreciated.

sUiCiDeR
.s3G | sUiCiDeR, post: 110583, member: 16913 Wrote:Hello wL,

I think the population of the servers needs to be addressed. Obviously moving a server would abandon population right off the back. However, hosting a pub in a Central location is a sure way to not get any type of population. It's pretty simple. If a player pulls up their player list, they are going to go to the server with most people and lowest ping. Since the majority of people in the US are either on the East or West coast, then obviously coastal servers would show up first. If you went to GameTracker, you will see that the most popular servers are on the coast. Not one of them is Central. If a server is to be Central and survive, it would need to be hosted in Chicago and have people idle 24/7. Dallas servers will NEVER populate. I'm not here to slam wL cause I loved playing in your servers when they were West coast.

If wL is to repopulate, the servers need to be moved. My 2 cents..

sUiCiDeR
In time people will come back. I've been working on the pop map server and it has been generating some traffic. Not as much as I would hope for, but still better than nothing.
I've been trying to populate the Office DM servers for quite a bit. People are starting to join again, but it's still not near what it used to be.
Danielle Murillo (May 24, 1996 ~ April 21, 2014)

"Nothing lasts forever, at least we got these memories. & if I ever go away, I'll love you always"

[Image: 1483035_101.png]
Minigames and Snipers have a bit of traffic. Hopefully towards the Summer, it will slowly get populated and remain populated :S
[Image: 76561198017067818.png]
Ever since they were kicked offline people just didn't want to wait for it so they moved on.

Keep in mind im talking about the servers
[Image: 1341999_101.png]
CDawg #MurilloStrong, post: 110597, member: 18171 Wrote:I've been trying to populate the Office DM servers for quite a bit. People are starting to join again, but it's still not near what it used to be.
CDawg and I have been reppin' Office DM hard, yo. But I would like to see regular Office repopulate. I dunno. I feel some servers are fine and the location works for the players that use(d) it, but with others, that's not the case.