Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smartest person on wL
naive Wrote:A wise man is he who knows that he knows nothing

Isn't that the same kind of analogy as "cogito ergo sum"?
If you read this, you suck.
naive Wrote:A wise man is he who knows that he knows nothing, therefore my vote goes to barcode.
That reminds me of Socrates' quote: "The only wisdom is in knowing that we know nothing"

But I prefer Bertrand Russel's: "The tragedy with this world is that fools are so sure of themselves whereas the wise are so full of doubt".

Yeah Rival, I guess so.

Although Socrates could not have known about Descartes' "Cogito", perhaps he was thinking of something similar to Plato's "allegory of the cave"
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2afuTvUzBQ[/youtube]
[Image: 2ntzjn7.png]
silly (no sound): you need to learn
Zero: i taught you
silly (no sound): how to be cool like me
Zero: you knifed me when i retired
silly (no sound): I have hopes for you
silly (no sound): to be my apprentice
silly (no sound): my prodigy
silly (no sound): to carry on my legacy
silly (no sound): good luck padawan
silly (no sound): may the force be with you
Zero: lol
Zero: why you make it sound that you are never coming back alive master?
Zero: Tongue
silly (no sound): I will
silly (no sound): when you're ready
silly (no sound): to show me what you've learnt
silly (no sound): when you're a jedi
But in that case, it's not true, because knowing that you know nothing means that you know something....
If you read this, you suck.
I, The Rival Wrote:
naive Wrote:A wise man is he who knows that he knows nothing

Isn't that the same kind of analogy as "cogito ergo sum"?

Same kind of analogy only in that they were both concepts by great philosophers (edit: and not analogies). Polar opposite concepts though. Descartes intention was to logically prove at least one miniscule thing as universal truth, "i think therefore I am" was only a means to an end for such a purpose, whereas Socrates line of thought was that this sort of activity was essentially an act of thought masturbation as truths are never fully "known".
"Most people think time is like a river, that flows swift and sure in one direction. But I have seen the face of time, and I can tell you, they are wrong. Time is an ocean in a storm."
That quote of Socrates is not to be taken literally. He isn't saying he doesn't know anything but means he can't know anything with 100 % certainty.
Whats all this talk of Socrates? I thought it was from Bill in Bill and Teds Excellent Adventure?
"Most people think time is like a river, that flows swift and sure in one direction. But I have seen the face of time, and I can tell you, they are wrong. Time is an ocean in a storm."
you ppl dont understand.
naive Wrote:Whats all this talk of Socrates? I thought it was from Bill in Bill and Teds Excellent Adventure?

Lol, Keanu Reeves was so weird in that movie. Duuuuude!
ruplayer Wrote:
The Liberal Media Wrote:First of all, Bison, Anubis and Matt must be the same person
Bison is Bison when it comes to cheaters, spammers, scrims or blaming ruplayer for posting crap on forums like his own baby.

Bison is Matt when he thinks he's Australian.

Bison is Anubis when he has hangover, headache, rabbits... or just in a bad mood.
silly Wrote:The best troll is probably spartacus, he's almost a genius at it, but I've never really seen him make serious posts.

I saw that you used the term 'almost'.

[Image: ch.JPG]
be the best version of yourself, that's all you can do.