Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I want to suggest that someone adds the best map ever to one of the servers
The map is called 'de_css_pyramid' Who would I talk to in order to have this map added? The nostalgia is killing me.
Yeah that map should be on wL popular maps servers, more custom maps are needed too.
[Image: wbyea.jpg]
Thanks for the reply, but I was asking who to talk to in order to suggest this?
napalmbath88 Wrote:I was asking who to talk to in order to suggest this?
just wait for the reply of  root admin.
[Image: 1UH9a8H.png]

[Image: 5pfuEDP.gif]
Heh, I remember seeing someone (likely you) suggesting that map in-game. I'm not sure whether the regulars of popular maps are actually ready for some additional maps. There's been quite a bit of players who ragequit from fairly standard maps (and small might I add) like de_contra, de_season, de_cpl_mill, etc which were implemented months ago. I'd rather not push anymore maps down their throats until they decide to download and get used to the ones that I've already added.

I remember when we had the Full Rotation server which was practically always full; that I made the mistake of adding new maps every couple of weeks, and it did eventually lead to the server collapsing over the span of a month from the strain. The way valve handles the downloading of maps, textures, sounds is extremely annoying and idiotic in general. You don't know how many files there are to download, you don't know how large these files are, you don't even know know how fast you're downloading them, and consequently don't know how long to wait.

A lot of people simply cancel the download and go elsewhere since they don't want to wait around indefinitely (even I'm guilty of this). Generally, if I wait a couple of minutes at the download screen and there's no end in sight, then I'll typically cancel it and do something else unless I'm there for a mildly important reason. The problem is that the download could take mere minutes or upwards to an hour or more and waiting no matter how you look at it is no fun. The download length depends entirely on the file size and the download speed you're getting off the download server. I could be on a 1Gbps connection and still download at 5KB/s were my ISP and the download server routed together inefficiently and through slow saturated networks (which happens surprisingly often). A common way download managers/browsers/everything else overcomes this obstacle is by making multiple connections and downloading lots of small files at the same time or downloading multiple chunks of a big file at the same time. This is a technique valve doesn't employ in their download manager. Take into consideration that a fairly small file, 5MB in size downloading at 5KB/s would take about 15 minutes to download, and the typical good custom map is 30MB or larger while bz2'd. :-X

Then there's the second problem... We had a custom maps server in the past and although the maps were nicely textured and fun, problematically not many people actually wanted to take the initiative to download the maps and play on it since no one else was. If you sat around in the server long enough, then you'd see a connecting message for a player and seconds or minutes later a disconnect message, but they never actually make it all the way into the server. They rage quitted at the deterring download screen no doubt. :Smile The server never did get anywhere which eventually caused us to give it the axe.

If we're going to try something like that again, then the only way I'd see it getting somewhere is if we could get the WAR-LORDS.NET steam community group 10x larger. That way we could spam community alerts suggesting that they come and play on the server at a rapid pace until they eventually give in and do it simply to see what all the fuss is about. Although, I'm fairly sure quite a bit of people may simply leave the group due to the overwhelming spam (that's why the group needs to large Wink).

Sorry for my nonsensical tl;dr rambling.
Steam Wrote: 4:02 PM - George, of the jungle: was out
4:02 PM - George, of the jungle: bison, dude
4:02 PM - Brawl Bashin’ Bison: ???
4:02 PM - George, of the jungle: you're very rude towards alina
4:02 PM - George, of the jungle: how about unbanning her friend?
4:02 PM - George, of the jungle: I mean
4:02 PM - George, of the jungle: it's only gamebanana skins
4:02 PM - Brawl Bashin’ Bison: LOL
4:02 PM - George, of the jungle: ^^
4:02 PM - Brawl Bashin’ Bison: LOLOL
4:02 PM - George, of the jungle: lol
M. Bison Wrote:Sorry for my nonsensical tl;dr rambling.

LOL.  :o I actually read it all.
[Image: scary-cat-100.jpg]
Thanks Bison,
The custom maps server disappeared within weeks of me getting on here, and I'd always wondered where and why...
The size of our community and map downloading are definite issues counting against a custom map server here.
I have a somewhat sacrilegious idea that might help solving that though.

Right now the war-lords homepage is fairly uncluttered and no-nonsense. To get a custom map server to work, one idea is to start a promotional campaign with weekend tourneys/competitions, the rankings of which would be posted on the homepage. Instead of scrims, we play the server just like we do on popular maps, but then announce top fraggers that weekend, top kdrs (over a certain minimum) that weekend, top clans for the weekend, and a popularly selected mvp for that weekend.
On the initial post introducing the campaign, a link would be provided of the 15 or so most popular custom maps the server consists of, and we can add a couple new featured maps every few competitions. Joining a map should be by random selection only, and it should be understood that admins might switch players for team balance.
I can imagine this would take a lot of effort from our administrative staff and community, but with a bit of polishing and experimenting I believe it could also bring just that much more fun and hopefully traffic to this community. Everyone loves seeing their name in the lights and I can imagine regulars here calling in inactive buddies to help clan rankings.
Keeping it to weekends should help the players who can't afford to compete with those who can play all week, and if weekly is too much a strain on the staff, a 3-day tourney once a month should still have similar results.

::edit::
Actually, instead of cluttering our homepage with this, announce it initially there and create a new section for it on the left hand menu section. As our community grows and we work out any tweaking, we could eventually add monthly tourneys for the other servers as well. But if we want a customs maps server to kick off, we'll probably start the first few gauntlets exclusively for it. Any thoughts?
::edit::
George, Of The Jungle Jun 29, 2012:
Is this the profile of a bear?? Hmm, I didn't know bears were capable of playing css. Don't they break the keyboard with their massive paws? This is very peculiar and requires further investigation. If this is true, no one knows what kind of risks this might hold. They might electrocute themselves, maybe they become addicted to the game causing them to neglect their parental tasks. What must become of their offspring?
I will select a team consisting of the world's foremost scientists that will go about this scientific quest in the uttermost professional manner. This taskforce will carry the name "CANBURZREALLYPLAYCOUWNTERTRIKE - HUHWHUT????". I trust upon these men a task of huge importance, the fate of bearkind may depend on it. Godspeed men, Godspeed!
JayCat Wrote:
M. Bison Wrote:Sorry for my nonsensical tl;dr rambling.

LOL.  :o I actually read it all.

LOL, me too, I actually read it.
took me awhile.
M Bison must score a perfect score on his SAT.