Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
KFC must pay $8.3m to poisoned girl in Australia
Fast-food giant KFC has been ordered to pay $8.3m (£5.1m) to the family of an Australian girl left severely brain damaged after being poisoned by a chicken meal.

Monika Samaan fell ill with salmonella poisoning after eating a "Twister" wrap at a KFC restaurant near Sydney in 2005.

The poisoning left her wheelchair-bound and unable to speak.

KFC said it was "deeply disappointed" by the decision and would appeal.

'Limited resources'

A judge of the Supreme Court of the state of New South Wales awarded the A$8m damages after ruling last week that KFC had breached its duty of care to the girl.

The family's lawyer, George Vlahakis, said they were relieved by the decision.

"Monika's severe brain damage and severe disability has already exhausted the very limited resources of the family," he said.

"Monika is now a big girl and they are finding it increasingly difficult to lift her and to look after her basic needs as well as look after Monika's younger siblings.

"The compensation ordered is very much needed. KFC have to date been determined that Monika does not receive a cent."

KFC, which is owned by Yum! Brands, expressed surprise at the judge's ruling, insisting the evidence did not show it caused Monika's disability. It has indicated it will appeal.

"We feel deeply for Monika and the Samaan family. However, we also have a responsibility to defend KFC's reputation as a provider of safe, high-quality food," a company manager said.

The court was told that Monika was in a coma for six months after she, her parents and brother fell ill with vomiting and diarrhoea after sharing the wrap, the AAP news agency reports. The other family members all recovered.

The family's lawyer told the court that at busy times, the restaurant would reuse chicken that had been dropped on the floor.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-17867168
I wonder where in the twister she got the infection. Obviously it's from the chicken, but if the chicken in the twister was not cooked properly, you would think that at least one other piece would also be affected, and other people would get the same infection, which I am not sure there are.
It could of also come from the tongs used for raw chicken on the cooked chicken, but again this should mean that more pieces will be affected.
Either way, when I used to work at KFC (for a whole 2 years...) our managers were fairly strict and used to throw out heaps of chicken if the cook did a dodgy job, but in saying this, I could see a cook just ignoring the consequences of one small mistake.
Very Interesting...
Yeah, but the alleged incident happened in 2005, though. Perhaps KFC reformed their polices during your time with them?  :o
Steam Wrote: 4:02 PM - George, of the jungle: was out
4:02 PM - George, of the jungle: bison, dude
4:02 PM - Brawl Bashin’ Bison: ???
4:02 PM - George, of the jungle: you're very rude towards alina
4:02 PM - George, of the jungle: how about unbanning her friend?
4:02 PM - George, of the jungle: I mean
4:02 PM - George, of the jungle: it's only gamebanana skins
4:02 PM - Brawl Bashin’ Bison: LOL
4:02 PM - George, of the jungle: ^^
4:02 PM - Brawl Bashin’ Bison: LOLOL
4:02 PM - George, of the jungle: lol
M. Bison Wrote:Yeah, but the alleged incident happened in 2005, though. Perhaps KFC reformed their polices during your time with them?  :o
That's true, but you would think even in 2005, they shouldn't really be allowed to be open if their policies were any worse than they are now. There would of been pretty good knowledge of food poisoning, especially from chicken back then. There was always people coming to the shop checking out everything, making sure the store met a minimum standard, and a shop close to me was even closed down.
alright so just dont go to KFC in Australia...check
[Image: 236911_101.png]
[Image: counter-fail_o_GIFSoupcom.gif]
Cortex Wrote:alright so just dont go to KFC in Australia...check

I rarely go to KFC these days, the quality has just been shit compared to what it use to be. I'd rather spend the bit extra and go to Nandos and get a decent meal with good portions.
Matt Wrote:
Cortex Wrote:alright so just dont go to KFC in Australia...check

I rarely go to KFC these days, the quality has just been shit compared to what it use to be. I'd rather spend the bit extra and go to Nandos and get a decent meal with good portions.
Totally agree, plus KFC is way overpriced, a can of drink cost $2.75 or something
This is a case of litigation that is unfair to large corporation.
Most of lawsuit, if trial by jurors, the defendant will most likely get the judgement.
Because most of jurors are ordinary people, they tend to feel sorry for the defendant.
Since the large corp. got lots of money, it's okay to give more.
If the defendant asks for less amount (...$10K), she will lose the case.
So, remember, if you want to sue the large corp., ask for millions, then you will win.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there was a jury in this case.
And here everyone thinks KFC doesn't really use chicken.
[Image: 76561197977275857.png]
[Image: 76561197984123363.png]
[Image: 15116_101.png]