Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Teachers enlisted to fight graffiti in controversial police blitz (Australia)
[Image: 672625-graffiti.jpg]

Quote:POLICE are enlisting teachers to scour exercise and textbooks and dob in pupils they suspect of being graffiti vandals in a controversial blitz on tagging.

Detectives plan to photocopy any drawings or sketches resembling tags and add them to a new database where they can be cross-referenced with illegal graffiti activity.

The pioneering scheme - dubbed Operation Grapik (Graffiti Reduction And Processing In Knox) - operates across several suburbs in Melbourne's east and has identified 123 of the most prolific tags, causing up to half a million dollars in damage.

Police say it has the full support of dozens of schools.

Tina Clydesdale, principal at Lysterfield Primary School, confirmed teachers checked children's work.

"We check books and work and things like pencil cases to prevent it getting to that criminal stage," she said.

"Luckily our children are at an age where they are more than happy to dob people in.

"We are aware of one child, at another school, who knew who was responsible for a graffiti hit on a sports club opposite our school and through this program spoke to police."

A total of 45 offenders have been punished using the database - called GRIP (Graffiti Reduction and Interception Program) - and scores more suspects identified.

Warrants have also revealed additional serious crimes committed, including drugs, weapons, arson and burglary offences.

Courts have also been ordering offenders to pay tens of thousands of dollars to clean up the area blighted by their graffiti.

"Crime-prevention officers have visited every school from Wantirna to Boronia to Upper Ferntree Gully and down to Dandenong North and asked teachers to conduct weekly checks of students' books," said Sgt Andrew Doppel, who is spearheading the campaign from Knox police complex.

"Kids practise their tags in these books and if teachers spot it they should report it to police so we can nip it in the bud.

"It's the school-age children we are really trying to get at because graffiti starts small but often leads to bigger and more serious offences and is often linked to alcohol and drug issues.

"That's why teachers are so important, if we can get to the children early, we can get them on specific programs to help them before it develops into something they cannot control."

Irene Harding, principal at Karoo Primary School in Rowville, said the scheme was a "great idea".

"It's a proactive way of identifying kids who take part in this activity," Ms Harding said.

Sgt Doppel photographs every new tag he finds and uploads it into the database, which flags a GPS reference for the graffiti and links it to tags of the same name committed elsewhere.

[email protected]

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/more-ne...6347674592

silly,matt and bananaman's doing!
be the best version of yourself, that's all you can do.
These so called "artists" can go to hell. Graffiti their own damn property.
Matt Wrote:These so called "artists" can go to hell. Graffiti their own damn property.

Can't agree any more. Public property does not give one the right to vandalize it and call it "art." Of course, unless it's sanctioned by the proper authorities for purposes such as rehabilitation of an area.

But seriously, like you said, they should just vandalize their own property instead of ruining it for everyone.
[Image: 191457_101.png]
The one thing I don't agree with is that teachers now have to look through their students' books for graffity drawings ? i'm sure tons of students will get in trouble for inappropriate drawings, profanity and other dumb things of the sort.
ceddeeoo Wrote:The one thing I don't agree with is that teachers now have to look through their students' books for graffity drawings ? i'm sure tons of students will get in trouble for inappropriate drawings, profanity and other dumb things of the sort.

If it's a school issued book, they shouldn't be drawing in it in the first place.

If they bought and own their own copy, they should be able to do whatever they want with it.

The point is that if they want to vandalize something, they should vandalize their own things.
[Image: 191457_101.png]
I graffiti on the trains like a boss! Jks.
BaNaNaMaN Wrote:I graffiti on the trains like a boss! Jks.
You lot near Bankstown would! Big Grin
moose Wrote:
;D
moose Wrote:
Yeah, all the time Tongue

[Image: 672625-graffiti.jpg]

stop right there criminal scum, you are under arrest