Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The American Dream Is Now a Myth
"... "The U.S. worked hard to create the American dream of opportunity. But today, that dream is a myth,” Stiglitz wrote in an opinion piece in the Financial Times Tuesday.
Stiglitz said U.S. inequality is at the highest point in nearly a century and the gap between those with the median income and those at the top is growing.
The U.S. used to think of itself as a middle-class country – but this is no longer true,” he said. “Today, a child’s life chances are more dependent on the income of his or her parents than in Europe, or any other of the advanced industrial countries for which there are data" ..."

http://www.cnbc.com/id/47957186/The_American_Dream_Is_Now_a_Myth_Joseph_Stiglitz

"... For example, three-quarters of Danes born in the lowest-earning 20% of the population escape their plight in adulthood. Seven out of ten poor children in supposedly class-ridden Britain achieve the same feat. But fewer than six in ten Americans do so... "

http://www.economist.com/node/21557300

Social mobility, which is basically what the 'American dream' is all about, has been declining in the US for years. At the time there's no plans to reverse that, it's not even a debate.
One response...
DUURRRRRRRRRRR!
Why isnt this exactly obvious, why does it get its own news article?? This is not news to me, just people being slow to wise up to a fact.
If u want me to elaborate i can.
"Ignorance is Bliss"- Sima Yi from DW6
Stiglitz is super legit, looked a lot at him when I studied international and development economics
Lieutenant Josh, post: 76550, member: 946 Wrote:One response...
DUURRRRRRRRRRR!
Why isnt this exactly obvious, why does it get its own news article?? This is not news to me, just people being slow to wise up to a fact.
If u want me to elaborate i can.

No one said it was 'news', it's a book review.
Yeah I got effed out on this one. Born in 87. Our economy sucks bad, and is forcing me to move out of california to Vegas which i am sad to leave ;/

GOD BLESS CANADA? Shit thats where i would go if i could.
[Image: 456710_101.png]
There is no american dream. When someone (specially Americans) afford something, they just say "I finally reached the 'American Dream' ". So yeah.. It was always a myth.
[Image: 1UH9a8H.png]

[Image: 5pfuEDP.gif]
yeah bro, I just moved to canada in august and it's sooo dope... go to vancouver or montreal and you'll be like o hot damn
ceddeeoo, post: 76626, member: 9052 Wrote:yeah bro, I just moved to canada in august and it's sooo dope... go to vancouver or montreal and you'll be like o hot damn
AMERICAN DREAM!
[Image: 1UH9a8H.png]

[Image: 5pfuEDP.gif]
seriously though guys, I lived in the US for 8 years and to be quite frank I was so sick of it the last couple of years... I really don't want to live there again, but I got my dual french american citizenship before I left so I can actually go there whenever I want and get a job there if I wanted to. (wait... getting a job right now in the U.S. ? must be a joke, right ? )
Canada rly?

Imma go live in Russia, Kalingrad to be exact, more Cs, No Internet Regulations period, and pretty decent living if you like cold places.
"Ignorance is Bliss"- Sima Yi from DW6