Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Storage on hard drive
I'm just wondering where did some of my free space in drive c go. I mean, when i check properties and add all the folders including the hidden ones, it does not add up to the supposedly used space.

In addition, why is my windows folder increasing?

sorry noob question Big Grin

Thanks.
not sure how much ur missing but hiber.sys eats up to about 5GB of hard drive space, and your paging file also eats up a certain percentage of your hard drive too (determined by how much RAM u have installed). For me personally, every time i build a computer i delete these two things since i dun need them.

hiber.sys is used wen ur in hibernation mode. Hibernation is wen u put ur comp into a state where it consumes zero power (its completely shut down) but keeps ur last Windows session intact. In order to do this it writes everything in memory to the hard drive, and it writes it to the hiber.sys file. i never put my comp in hibernation, so i delete this file.

ur paging file can take up a few GB too. paging file is like virtual memory and the size of it is based off how much RAM u have installed. wen ur RAM fills up, it swaps the least used data in RAM to ur hard drive (in the paging file) in order to free up RAM for more active tasks. i wud say in general, if you have 8GB or more of RAM installed, u dun need to worry about filling it up, hence, u dont need the paging file. this depends on how u use ur comp, and theres a little more to it than this, but i never miss it. of course u can also change the size of the paging file to whatever you want.

one of the best tools that i use is this: http://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/w...t_portable

[Image: WinDirStatPortable.png]

it gives u a visual representation of wuts eating up ur hard drive space. essentially, files are displayed in chunks. their size is relative to how much space theyre taking up on the hard drive. hiber.sys and paging file will be two big chunks in this representation. anything with the same color r files that r related to each other. for instance, all the little green squares cud be all the individual files in your Counter Strike installation. u can click on any of these squares and it will take u its location within Windows and u can see wut it is, its exact size, delete it, etc...

this proggy is free, and the one in the link is portable so u dun even have to install it.

hope this helps
[Image: tumblr_m8wz8pZhho1qe7ttxo1_500.jpg]
Thanks for that help, I'll look into the program. but my problem is this 17.7gb+66.4 gb = 84.1gb but my supposedly maximum space is 97.5 gb. more than 13gb is missing. I also did this with my drive d and they add up exactly.

Attached Files

Thumbnail(s)

a lot of that space (if not all if it) is ur "hiber.sys" and "paging" files. lets do an experiment. disable hibernation and disable the paging file temporarily. dont worry, it wont hurt anything, just reverse the process after we've had our experiment.

to disable hibernation follow the instructions in the "Let Me Fix it Myself" section: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/920730

now disable the paging file:
  1. click the start menu
  2. right-click "computer" and select "properties"
  3. click "advanced system settings"
  4. in the "advanced tab" under the "performance" section click "settings"
  5. click the "advanced" tab
  6. under "virtual memory" click "change..."
  7. untick the box next to "automatically manage paging file size for all drives"
  8. select "no paging file"
  9. click "set" and confirm "yes"
  10. then click "ok" then "apply" then "ok" again
  11. reboot your computer
after you've disabled both of these run ur experiment again
Thanks man! it works! I was wondering about these unaccounted space even before with my old computer Big Grin
glad to help Wink