Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whoever sent me this warning
-
"Most people think time is like a river, that flows swift and sure in one direction. But I have seen the face of time, and I can tell you, they are wrong. Time is an ocean in a storm."
Quote:Claiming to date an indian woman makes him not racist, is essentially a race driven concept. The way I see it, he lied to an Indian woman about his sexuality because he views them as unworthy of being treated as honest humans (also, my form of humor).
This is a joke, right?

Quote:Prejudice against groups of people based on the race, is racism.
Generalizations about groups of people based on their race, is racism.
To be Russian is to be of Russian Nationality, not to be of some sort of "Russian race". It could be prejudice, but it's not racism.
[Image: 2ntzjn7.png]
silly (no sound): you need to learn
Zero: i taught you
silly (no sound): how to be cool like me
Zero: you knifed me when i retired
silly (no sound): I have hopes for you
silly (no sound): to be my apprentice
silly (no sound): my prodigy
silly (no sound): to carry on my legacy
silly (no sound): good luck padawan
silly (no sound): may the force be with you
Zero: lol
Zero: why you make it sound that you are never coming back alive master?
Zero: Tongue
silly (no sound): I will
silly (no sound): when you're ready
silly (no sound): to show me what you've learnt
silly (no sound): when you're a jedi
Problem with Statistics, those outside of S. Korea, such as in North Korea and around the world who purchase the game as well. If you want to get into that, you should also take into account multiple generation of Koreans.

Again, statements like this are a generalization rather than racism. No, generalizations are not racism.

Edit: Taking the statement into context, it's the simple fact that Koreans still play the game a lot more than those of other races.

Quote:Racism is the belief that inherent different traits in human racial groups justify discrimination.

Quote:Claiming to date an indian woman makes him not racist, is essentially a race driven concept. The way I see it, he lied to an Indian woman about his sexuality because he views them as unworthy of being treated as honest humans (also, my form of humor).
I can't tell if that last part is humorous or not. How did he lie to an Indian women about his sexuality? He might not have realized he was gay at that point. Or he wanted to try? Did he lie to her?

Actually I stated that many of the crackers & lower-end hacks are based on Russian developers. I didn't say that many of them hacked (Which is still a high number and to be honest, going off what I see on SMAC, the bans for settis is enormously high.

And yes, I realize that many settis are not Russian, but a lot of them are. It's also another reason why you see a lot of the non-VAC servers being Russian servers.

Again, racism is
Quote: the belief that inherent different traits in human racial groups [b]justify discrimination.

Over the years, our society has grown to jump on many things as being racist, and many people have lost sight of what racism really is. A lot of cases in the legal system, and hell across schools are being regarded as racist when they're really not. People need to take a step back and remember what it is.

Example: Saying uMadBro? Is not a a racist term. It is not racial intimidation. The NAACP thought it was racist.
[Image: JokerSig.jpg]
@Silly.. Half joke, and good point about Russian not being a race. Prejudices based on nationality are not racism. They are however misguided opinions and not based in logic. Both are unfair motivations that result in discrimination. I often do not discern between prejudices against broad groups based on a lack of fundamental understanding. You could say that racism itself is not a problem, but rather discrimination that stems from racism is. Therefore making discrimination based on nationality essentially the same as discrimination based on genetic ancestry.

@joker, I doubt many north koreans play starcraft as most north koreans even have ready access to food, power, or modern plumbing. If you want to include north korea this proportion would be far, far lower. the rest of the world need not be taken into account as the statement was directed at koreans.
"Most people think time is like a river, that flows swift and sure in one direction. But I have seen the face of time, and I can tell you, they are wrong. Time is an ocean in a storm."
But Koreans as a race aren't limited to those living in South Korea.

I don't get how your explanation to silly shows Rival's racism, proves a good point, and is not flat out disturbingly offensive.
If you take the most readily available statistics about Koreans that have the potential to play starcraft (based on South Korea, a country with >90% computer/internet) as a people, you can extrapolate that it is likely to be a statistical impossibility for "most" koreans to love it.
Again, taken into context, it was
A) A generalization
B) Goes toward the accepted belief that more Koreans play it than any other race.

Still not racist.
Accepted beliefs about races not based on fact or logic is a pretty good example of racism. Most racist ideas are based on broad generalizations of narrow sample groups. Claiming that something isn't racist because it is a generalization is poor logic as the two are often mutually inclusive, especially if based on anything to do with 'race'.
naive Wrote:Accepted beliefs about races not based on fact or logic is a pretty good example of racism. Most racist ideas are based on broad generalizations of narrow sample groups. Claiming that something isn't racist because it is a generalization is poor logic as the two are almost always mutually inclusive.

I'm going by the definition of racism as
Quote:Racism is the belief that inherent different traits in human racial groups justify discrimination.

It fails the factor that you're using this to justify discrimination. If you there is no discrimination nor attempt to justify discrimination it shouldn't be considered racism.

That's the wikipedia definition. Shockingly Wikipedia is nowdays not regarded as a bad source of information.

---

But let's take Miriam Webster

: a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race
: racial prejudice or discrimination

Again, the statement fails this test as well.
Ok,  "racial prejudice or discrimination". Saying that most koreans love starcraft is a racial prejudice based on your limited experience, when in fact <50% of koreans have ever even played starcraft. Prejudice isn't always negative, whenever prejudices are based on race they are racism.

Prejudice: any preconceived opinion or feeling, either favorable or unfavorable.

Do I need to define preconceived for you too?

and seeing as discrimination is prejudicial treatment, i think that speaks for itself.