Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Banned  Ze'Yon intentionally team flashing
So I agree with this, especially your point that most people don't view the world form ideological lenses.

I disagree, however, that we would be able to come to a consensus about these issues and make meaningful improvements in our world and society if we just had the appropriate forms and media for having honest discussions. I have a couple of good friends with whom I regularly have these kinds of honest conversations and on many of the critical areas we're not able to come to a consensus.

The core (to me) difference is on our basic conception of freedom. To me, freedom means not just being un-obstructed from doing something, but also being meaningfully capable of doing that thing. If your hungry, you're not meaningfully able to do much other than search for food. If you're stuck at work for 80% of your wakeful hours every day in order to pay for food and rent, you're not meaningfully free to "do what you like.

To me, and to a lot of leftists, capitalism is structurally incompatible with meaningful freedom. This article in Current Affairs, which is a review of the book Capitalism Versus Freedom, does a good job of explaining why many believe capitalism is inconsistent with freedom.
https://www.currentaffairs.org/2018/08/t...of-freedom

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ze'Yon intentionally team flashing - by rookoo - Feb 13 2019, 07:45 PM
RE: Ze'Yon intentionally team flashing - by Ben- - Feb 14 2019, 02:00 AM
RE: Ze'Yon intentionally team flashing - by Ben- - Feb 14 2019, 01:26 PM
RE: Ze'Yon intentionally team flashing - by Ben- - Feb 14 2019, 03:43 PM
RE: Ze'Yon intentionally team flashing - by robert_durst - Feb 15 2019, 09:52 PM
RE: Ze'Yon intentionally team flashing - by tardbus - Feb 16 2019, 05:00 PM